• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ftp Query

Berne

Hi All,

Im thinking about FTP, in particular its use within a paid hosts context.

1. Is it essential to have a paid FTP client to up download files via my website if they are in excess of say 25mb?

2. Can I conduct file transfer via an imported free FTP programe with just the same quality and speed?

3. Can I do all of the above without an FTP client?

4. Do free FTP clients give excellent performance with no downtime?

5. Are good FTP clients supplied with all paid hosting deals for free?

6. What is the market standard for good file up and downloading with speed both within and outside hosting services?

7. If poss supply reference to further my knowledge on these queries.

A great site,

Berne...:rolleyes2

Berne said:
1. Is it essential to have a paid FTP client to up download files via my website if they are in excess of say 25mb?
No, just get FileZilla
Berne said:
2. Can I conduct file transfer via an imported free FTP programe with just the same quality and speed?
Yep. Sometimes better.

Berne said:
3. Can I do all of the above without an FTP client?
Not easily

Berne said:
4. Do free FTP clients give excellent performance with no downtime?
Depends on which client

Berne said:
5. Are good FTP clients supplied with all paid hosting deals for free?
It's customary to download them yourself.

Berne said:
6. What is the market standard for good file up and downloading with speed both within and outside hosting services?

Depends entirely on your up/down speed.

Last edited:
SmartFTP is horrible once it starts asking you if you want to upgrade to the paid version every 10 minutes.

Back