• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

GMail Drive

Seldimis

I found a program on the net that makes USE of the 1GB Google GMail gives. You just use it as a local HDD but on GMAIL website you see it as an email sent to you with the attached file...

Anyone tried ? Is it legal ?

hey...we have dicussed it b4. :) so this prog is not new to us anymore hahah

Of course it's legal. But it's useless to anyone with a slower internet connection, since it e-mails the things you put in your "virtual drive" to your gmail account.

Yeah, it's still in beta testing. I'm using it because of the 1GB of space :-D That way I have more room on my hosting account.

Yeah... right. But what will happen to all the users on GMail when Beta Testing stops? I bet GMail will have a lot of angered users when the site goes down for a few months.

DarkBlood said:
Yeah... right. But what will happen to all the users on GMail when Beta Testing stops? I bet GMail will have a lot of angered users when the site goes down for a few months.
According to Google, they get to keep their accounts. And why are you so sure it will go down?

I don't get what some people have against Gmail. Probably because of all the hype, or because they can't get their hands on one I'm guessing.

I've never been hyped up about Gmail, but I have to say, the interface is really clean and to the point, it sends and recieves email, you can attach files, it filters out spam pretty efficiently... plus you get 1GB space. So why not? It works for me.

Not to mention it's not cluttered with banners and image ads. I really like that.

Then by all means, allow me to have GMail... but I don't get why we need invites for GMail anyway. Once Beta Testing stops, won't they stop doing invites... and allow regular sign-ups?

DarkBlood said:
Then by all means, allow me to have GMail... but I don't get why we need invites for GMail anyway. Once Beta Testing stops, won't they stop doing invites... and allow regular sign-ups?
Because it's not an open beta. They originally only allowed a few select people to beta test their service (most likely Google staff/friends/relatives). Then, in order to let more people in without the whole world signing up at the same time, they developed this invitation thing, where you get a limited amount of invites to give out.

LeX said:
Because it's not an open beta. They originally only allowed a few select people to beta test their service (most likely Google staff/friends/relatives). Then, in order to let more people in without the whole world signing up at the same time, they developed this invitation thing, where you get a limited amount of invites to give out.

But isn't the world slowly signing up for GMail anyway? Soon, the whole world will be testing GMail. xD

I thought that would be common knowledge (if you know your math), so I didn't go into that.

Back