• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help with free web hosting

tommo46

Hello,

I have 3 servers, 2 are Windows server 2003 enterprise with IIS Web server 6installed, and the third one is xp with apache. I am thinking of starting a free webhosting service. What addons and tools would i be able to get for free that would allow me to start a hosting service.

Thanks,
Tommo

Yeah do not use XP. Infact, I don't see why Windows Free Host's even exist. I really dispise of windows, but I guess some people need their asp.

There are advantages to using Windows. In a networked environment, Windows is easier to manage users. Also, unless it's being used as a web server, many people prefer Windows because of it's nice GUI and such.

Tommo, go buy 3 licenses of Plesk or a similar Windows control panel. Then it should be pretty easy setting everything else up.

Oh, you also need a commercial internet connection. Residential internet providers often frown upon having servers on their home connection.

Tree said:
There are advantages to using Windows. In a networked environment, Windows is easier to manage users. Also, unless it's being used as a web server, many people prefer Windows because of it's nice GUI and such.

Tommo, go buy 3 licenses of Plesk or a similar Windows control panel. Then it should be pretty easy setting everything else up.

Oh, you also need a commercial internet connection. Residential internet providers often frown upon having servers on their home connection.

So the advantage of using windows is because you get to use a pretty GUI? Just install kde on a unix based system and vnc into it.

That's the only advantage that I know of. Well, and most programs are developed with only Windows in mind.

I've used KDE before, as well as GNOME. I've never really liked them. The Windows GUI is easier to maneuver and work with. I really only use *NIX in the shell anyway.

I have a copy of Mandrake Linux 10 i could install, but ive never used linux so i wouldnt know how to do anything on it. Apache on Linux is a lot more compatible with addons like php etc isnt it?

Let me give my two cents here. ;)

Windows servers are no worse or better than *nix servers. What operating system you use depends on what you are familiar with and what you need to do.

When running Windows you're going to need more hardware to handle the websites but, that is just the way Windows works.

Look into Plesk for the control panel and Microsoft's SPLA program before putting websites up so you're all legal. ;)

You'd also need a non-residential connection if you plan on making any profit from this through advertising or otherwise...just thought I'd throw that in to make sure you're not contemplating anything silly. :p

Back