• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting - American Idol Blog

djslim1

Last season during American Idol I made the huge mistake of running a semi popular American Idol Blog on Shared Hosting. While the Blog was up most of the time, the week of the finale it was shutdown due to service abuses, 300+ users online at once viewing who went home. Rookie mistake on my part and now I understand.

Article on Pro Blogger about it here.

Of course i would love to return to the Idol scene again this season but of course can only afford the minimum of hosting (shared). My current hosting provider is allowing me to stay on shared till the idol season begins then I must move to VPS at the very least to keep my site online. Due to financial circumstances this isn't possible for me and I am scared to let the users of the blog down.

Is there anyone who could help with this situation in a free or very low cost situation?

The current Idol blog is located at www.idolbloglive.com and uses Wordpress. Again this season like last season I expect around 1 million hits in a 5 month period with certain nights of Idol having 300+ visitors on the blog for 2-4 hours.

Thanks in advance for anyone who may be able to help with this. It is greatly appreciated

I'm not sure why shared hosting wouldn't work for you, because your peak of 3500 hits an hour to a Wordpress site should not be crashing a shared hosting server. I would shop around for a different shared web host, and just let them know ahead of time what kind of traffic you expect and whether they think that would be a problem.

Any reason you don't do Adsense on your site? You should be able to cover the cost of hosting from that.

shinyblogs.com said:
I'm not sure why shared hosting wouldn't work for you, because your peak of 3500 hits an hour to a Wordpress site should not be crashing a shared hosting server. I would shop around for a different shared web host, and just let them know ahead of time what kind of traffic you expect and whether they think that would be a problem.

Any reason you don't do Adsense on your site? You should be able to cover the cost of hosting from that.

I have had lots of people wonder why I don't place ads on my site. Simple reason is because I hate ads plus I already was sued once by FreMantle Media and they stated placing any ads (google, adsense, etc) would send me to jail. I don't want any problems just a place for the hundreds of fans around the globe that have come to enjoy and depend on my blog.

As for the wordpress crashing the site, I think you are right. In theory wordpress shouldn't be as intensive on the server as my Movable Type was last season so I am hoping that maybe I will be overlooked on the server load and be just fine on Shared. I guess I am just trying to get some ducks in a line just in case.

I was looking into RapidVPS and their $9.95/ month plan but I am nervous as to a VPS that cheap. I mean every other VPS I find is like $40.00 a month. Whats the catch with RapidVPS?

Thanks for the advice. I may just shop around a bit and see what I can find. Anyone have any suggestions for me in the $6.00/month range? I really can't afford anything more.

Last season the blog was Movable Type when I crashed everything. I just recently converted to Wordpress in case I wasn't quite clear on that :)

Hmm, you've exceeded over bandwidth limits on your last host? Maybe you should go for a VPS or a Semi-Dedicated hosting.

Though, you probably could get what you need in a shared hosting plan.
How much bandwidth + space do you need?

Chief said:
Hmm, you've exceeded over bandwidth limits on your last host? Maybe you should go for a VPS or a Semi-Dedicated hosting.

Though, you probably could get what you need in a shared hosting plan.
How much bandwidth + space do you need?

actually they said I didn't exceed my bandwidth just the number of users I could have on my site at a given time. As for space/transfer I guess I am looking aroung 500MB/30GB or 1GB/30GB but of course I can't be picky at this point. I just want to make sure the site is running come December and not going to be shut down for any reason other than me not paying my $6.00

We can offer you the following plan:

Price: USD 6.13 / month
Disk Space: 2,000 Megabytes
Monthly Transfer: 50,000 Megabytes

http://lytenhost.com/basic.php

Our servers will be able to handle your site and we promise we will not hold your files ransom should the unforseen happen ;)

Or if you want to reconsider a FREE ad supported alternative (Adsense or otherwise)... I can help you out there too at e-Fans

Thanks,

I am thinking that on a shared host. He might have been using t0 much MYSQL db. And every connection adds to the drain of the MYSQL.

Hence oveerloading the CPU of whatever host he had. heck he might have been hosted on a VPS for all we know with a whole lot of other sites.

Back