• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting space

Berne

Hi All,

As a newbie to perhaps using an online storage facility I would like to know if there is a watchdog type site who can tell me about a companies reputation.

Also a few new terms are new to me:

ASP 3.0
MS SQL
H Sphere
Reseller

Greatful for any help available.

Regards,

Berne...:wink2:

ASP is a programming language. Most hosts’ here don't normally support it. But some may. PHP is the most used web based language. (Second to HTML :p)

MS SQL is Microsoft’s version of mySQL, it's overprices, and does the same things as mySQL.

H Sphere is another web based control panel for your hosting/site. There are many more, like cPanel (Which is standard on many hosts).

There are 2 different types of resellers. There’s a tier reseller who basically resells packages at there own prices, and there’s a mainline reseller, this type of reseller has a set amount of space and bandwidth and can make there own plans.
Advantage of tier reselling is that there is no money payment upfront, meaning you can't lose money. Disadvantage is you don't have control over your customers.
Advantage of mainline reselling is that you have total control over your customers and the plans you offer. Disadvantages are that you have to pay for your reseller account up front, meaning if you don't get the customers you end up losing money.

I would only recommend going for a mainline reseller if you have the funds to support your hosting company for over 4 months. For example, if you are going in to stay in, have at least $70 or more you can blow into your paypal account over 4 months.

If you wish to ask some questions on starting up a web hosting business, drop me an email at: richard@hosting-shack.net and ask some questions, i will answer and give all the advice i can.

Expect to lose quite a bit of money over the first few months. But after that things should pick up. Also if your just starting out, your going to have to put alot of time and effort into it.

Hosting

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, Richard I am just feeling my way at this time I have no intention of webhosting, but I am going to use a host for both a personal site and another for storage of files, so this is a sweep of all I can expect.

Good to have your reference.

Regards,

Berne...

Well,I'm getting the tier reseller from hosting-shack,if you ever get the mainline reseller,can you plz share it?(lol I'll help you indeed)

Hi

Heres a list of sites where you can get reviews, comments & other stuff on hosting companies:

webhostingstuff.com
webhostingtalk.com
findmyhost.com
thehostplanet.com
hostreport.com
hostsearch.com/reviews.asp
hostreview.com

Hope this helps

hosting-shack said:
MS SQL is Microsoft’s version of mySQL, it's overprices, and does the same things as mySQL.

MSSQL is much more powerful that MySQL. It supports a number of things that MySQL doesn't support like:

Views
Triggers
Stored Procedures
User-defined functions
Foreign Keys
Cursors

Also, based on TPC performance, SQL Server ranks just behind Oracle. MySQL is no where on that list:
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp

hosting-shack said:
H Sphere is another web based control panel for your hosting/site. There are many more, like cPanel (Which is standard on many hosts).

HSphere is not "another" web based control panel. It's an entire automated hosting platform supporting:

1) Windows, Linux & VPS
2) Clustered systems
3) Load Balancing
4) Automated Billing
5) Integrated Ticket System
6) Multi-tiered users

HSphere is not "like cpanel". cPanel does only 10% of what HSphere does

Back