• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long can a human stay awake? (safely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gone with a total of about 24 hours of sleep in an entire week during my final year exams..... terrible times.

36 hours here without caffeine:p
i value my sleep, you really need it to make the time your awake worthwhile!

My max period has only been being awake for 19 hours. I plan this summer in the month I have between the end of Highschool, and starting College Summer Courses, to stay up at least one day though, just to see what it's like. A 48 pack of energy drinks, and lots of pizza and ice cream :p.

My max period has only been being awake for 19 hours. I plan this summer in the month I have between the end of Highschool, and starting College Summer Courses, to stay up at least one day though, just to see what it's like. A 48 pack of energy drinks, and lots of pizza and ice cream :p.

Month?

What country do you live in?

Month?

What country do you live in?

US. I finish my Abeka Christian Academy DVD program and get my diploma in 3 weeks. My Computer Fundamentals (don't need it, but its cheap credit) and other summer classes start May 31 and go to July 28. Fall classes start August 3 I think. I'm getting 8 credits towards my Bachelors this summer. Going to transfer with an Associates Degree in one year at Bainbridge College, then transfer to Georgia Southwestern and get my Bachelors in another year or so. Then continue on for my master's in CIS and minor in accounting.

US. I finish my Abeka Christian Academy DVD program and get my diploma in 3 weeks. My Computer Fundamentals (don't need it, but its cheap credit) and other summer classes start May 31 and go to July 28. Fall classes start August 3 I think. I'm getting 8 credits towards my Bachelors this summer. Going to transfer with an Associates Degree in one year at Bainbridge College, then transfer to Georgia Southwestern and get my Bachelors in another year or so. Then continue on for my master's in CIS and minor in accounting.

Ah, so you're taking summer classes.

Just don't go to Georgia Southern. The pool water has HIV.

I've done 50 hours, though this was when I had broken my leg. - Nothing to do at the hospital except read books. :cry2:

Though I think it's safe to do up to 30 hours.

30 hours really isn't nothing. Ive done that on several occasions and it really doesn't get too bad. I've got a large gap between the 30 and 5x hour experiences but I don't care to visit what will happen again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)

Randy Gardner holds a Guinness world record for the longest period of time a human being has intentionally gone without sleep not using stimulants of any kind. In 1964, as a 17-year-old high school student in San Diego, California, Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days) with the help of friends, TV reporters, and shooting hoops. On his final day without sleep, Gardner presided over a press conference where he spoke without slurring or stumbling his words and in general appeared to be in excellent health. "I wanted to prove that bad things didn't happen if you went without sleep," said Gardner. "I thought, 'I can break that (Peter Tripp's 1959) record and I don't think it would be a negative experience.'" Sleep experts now believe that such sleep deprivation stunts are dangerous (Veasey et al., 2002).

I've pulled 48 hours before and it was killer. You get to the point where you feel drunk, yet even less knowledgeable about what the heck is going on. I have a feeling that while sleep isn't probably as necessary as we make it out to be (who needs 8+ hours, really?), it certainly is needed in some significance to live.

I stayed up for 4 days once with 3 friends - No drugs etc

I have stayed up way longer in the past on drugs but that was a few years ago now and nothing to be proud of ;)

EDIT: Drugs or no drugs your mind becomes "scatterd" after about 2 days
You cant think clearly You put your keys down on the table then look everywhere but the table for 2 hours for them etc...

Last edited:
Does coffee/caffeine count as a drug? That was the only way I made it through my two days.

Yeah its a drug, but its the only way I can stay awake as well, unless I play Flash Flash Revolution :p.

I stayed up for 30-48 hours beacause deadline of my project. But i slept 10-12 hour in next day :D

Ah.. once more when earthquake strike my country i think... so hard to get nice dream:(

I know someone who stayed up 70 hours on Aderol. But on the 70th hour he passed out for 1 day and a half.

http://www.articlebrain.com/Article/Eleven-Days-Awake/412

A New World Record!

Finally, at two A.M. on January 8, Gardner broke Rounds’s record. A small crowd of doctors, parents, and classmates gathered to celebrate the event. They cheered wildly, and Gardner, busy taking calls from newsmen, responded with a V-for-victory sign. Four hours later, he was whisked away to the naval hospital where, after receiving a brief neurological checkup, he fell into deep sleep. He woke fourteen hours and forty minutes later, feeling alert and refreshed.

Gardner’s world record didn’t last long. A mere two weeks later, papers reported that Jim Thomas, a student at Fresno State College, managed to stay awake 266.5 hours. The Guinness Book of World Records subsequently recorded that in April 1977 Maureen Weston, of Petersborough, Cambridgeshire, went 449 hours without sleep while participating in a rocking chair marathon. However, Gardner’s feat remained the most well-remembered sleep-deprivation trial. To this day, no on knows the maximum amount of time a human can stay awake.

As of 2007, Gardner remains alive and well, having suffered no long-term ill effects from his experience. Despite sleep deprivation being the source of his fifteen minutes of fame, he insists he’s really not the type to pull an all-nighter and says he’s maintained a sensible sleep schedule since his youthful stunt. He does admit to lying awake some nights, but attributes this to age, not a desire to beat his old record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back