• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How many hits can a shared host handle?

Ruriko

Just how many uniques for a dynamic site can a shared host handle before it gets fried? I roughly have 3k uniques daily on my shared host. Just asking cause I don't know when I'll need to upgrade to a vps since I'm poor to afford one

Kinda depends on the server, the network and the other sites on the host.
Some may handel it no problem, others that are crowded or on old hardware may not.

3k uniques? You should earning quite a bit off google adsense if you put any :) I've got 2-3k uniques daily and I'm earning quite a bit too. I'm on my own dedicated server and it's all good :) I recommend you move to a VPS soon before your host finds out you're eating so much CPU and RAM :p

With 3k unique visits a day, you should (as Hamster said) be looking to move to a VPS sooner rather than later, as I am sure, that as soon as your host figures your using that much CPU/RAM, they will issue an ultimatium, or just shutdown your site.

If I was you, I would be getting a VPS/Dedi right away.

If your with a high quality host with a powerful server, that shouldn't be much of a problem. However, most hosts won't be able to handle that many hits on a shared server and would advise you to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated server so that it doesn't affect the performance of their server.

wow, 3k hits a day.

i think a VPS with 256mb ram might be enough for the site. if less than 256mb ram, i dun think ur site able to load smooth.

Depends on the web site or web application you have been running. And depends on the shared web hosting account you are using. Pour more information about it here and that will help to answer the question exactly.

stonerocket.

What are you basing that on? One of our dedicated servers which serves content for just one large VBulletin site does in the region of 5k (unique - not returning visitors) of hits per day and uses no more than 160mb Ram with a highly tuned MySQL setup and Lighttpd and at least 60 users surfing the site during the majority of the day.

So with 3k of hit's he could easily do it on a 256mb VPS if finely tuned.

How many hits a shared host handle?

It depends on the server, the network and the other sites on the host.
Some may handle it no problem, others that are crowded or on old hardware may not.

If your with a high quality host with a powerful server, that shouldn't be much of a problem. However, most hosts won't be able to handle 3k hits on a shared server and would advise you to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated server so that it doesn't affect the performance of their server.
-------------------------
Barbie Purl
Influencer

Stonerocket, not everyone grows money off of trees. Don't suggest the most expensive crap. Besides, for a dedicated, if someone went that route, I'd end up suggesting a decent server, not bottom line. So, that'd be over $100 a month.

As to the OP, just started looking at small VPS offers and such. Make at least a weekly backup if possible. Then, whenever your current host says you need to upgrade, you should have some information, or at least an idea of what you need to get. :)

If its just for one site, I wouldn't recommend getting cPanel/directadmin or anything else that fancy. As panel such as those tend to add a nice pricetag. So, at $15-20 VPS would do you good to host just one site with 5k+ uniques.

I would recommend that you place some adsense ads, after a few weeks you'll probably be able to afford a nice vps and have some money left over :).

I would upgrade to a VPS - they are relatively cheap, with some starting at the price of a reseller hosting package. If you aren't that experienced with Linux (if you choose a Linux VPS), then I would advise that you go with a semi-managed or fully managed solution until you are able to go it alone. It's a bit of a learning curve, but it is worthwhile.

The amount of RAM and everything depends on if you wish to run a certain control panel (e.g. cPanel), and your resource usage. If you do want cPanel, expect a price increase in some cases.

There are plenty of web hosts offering high quality VPS solutions out there, and if you go and speak to them, I am sure that they would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.

I would upgrade to a VPS - they are relatively cheap, with some starting at the price of a reseller hosting package. If you aren't that experienced with Linux (if you choose a Linux VPS), then I would advise that you go with a semi-managed or fully managed solution until you are able to go it alone. It's a bit of a learning curve, but it is worthwhile.

The amount of RAM and everything depends on if you wish to run a certain control panel (e.g. cPanel), and your resource usage. If you do want cPanel, expect a price increase in some cases.

There are plenty of web hosts offering high quality VPS solutions out there, and if you go and speak to them, I am sure that they would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.

You would move to the VPS because you are web hosting provider and you want people move as any other web hosting provider. That is normal.
But if he do not need to why he should to? Anyway each situation is unique...

Just how many uniques for a dynamic site can a shared host handle before it gets fried? I roughly have 3k uniques daily on my shared host. Just asking cause I don't know when I'll need to upgrade to a vps since I'm poor to afford one

Your web hosting provider will ask you to move once you are ready. Do not worry they always keep their hands on the pulse ;)

Simple web hosting account (called shared web host) do not operate with visitors. That has limits by space and bandwidth. I assume you have the one and something is being happened. Have you crashed the server and now you were asked to move to the higher plan?

Back