• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

iContact-Hosting Re-Design

icontact

Hello All,

I thought I would submit the current design of the new layout that I am working on for the iContact-Hosting website.

It is still in it's early stages of design but I'm hoping that you may be able to provide some feedback to see if I'm heading in the right direction with the consistency of the design.

http://www.icontact-hosting.net/xhtml/xhtml.htm

Thanks in advance to those that will take the time out for a quick review.

:biggrin2:

It's good, one thing I dont like is the grey box at the bottom. It's a little bright to the eyes.

The layout looks custom, doesn't have flash, and isn't too fancy. <-- These are all positives.

I would rate it a 9/10

I like the colors of the entire site. Ads on any hosting site that SELLS hosting are a no-no. Period. If you are selling do not place ads on the site, especially google ads... you are taking food from your own mouth. The header image could be alot better. Work on it more and I'm sure you'd be happy with the end result. You have a few missing pages... create an under construction page until you can complete these pages.
Other than the above I like the site, nice design and concept also the I'm really diggin the colors.

Ending score: 3/5

It looks good but all I saw was grey? I would like to see more colors to it myself but it looks good none the less.

MDurai said:
I like the colors of the entire site. Ads on any hosting site that SELLS hosting are a no-no. Period. If you are selling do not place ads on the site, especially google ads... you are taking food from your own mouth.
I agree, google is taking your profit with those ads!

Meksilon said:
I agree, google is taking your profit with those ads!

The website is still under development and i can see why people dont like seeing ads on the website so that is still currently being reviewed.

btw: youre being hosted by - icontact-hosting.com not iconnect-hosting.com

icontact said:
The website is still under development and i can see why people dont like seeing ads on the website so that is still currently being reviewed.
I don't find the use of ads objectionable - especially when you maintain a high content-to-advertising ratio, however Google is advertising competing hosts there - taking from your income rather than adding to it.

Anyhow, with the design on the main page I've noticed a couple of small things you could improve:

1. The height of the "plans" and "information" tables is not the same, it's only slightly different in IE - but quite noticeably different in Mozilla. I suggest modifying your CSS so it displays the same in both browsers, and to have them at the same height.

2. I'm also usually not too fond of designs that don't fit the whole width of the browser - however your design is quite acceptable at that width.

3. There is a line break in the "free 1 month trial" in Mozilla.

4. The WC3 CSS + XHTML validators appear side-by-side in Mozilla, and one under the other in IE. I also suggest moving them to where the "Live Support" pic is and moving the Live Support to where they currently are.

5. When Scripting is disabled the Google ads disappear, however the "ads bar" remains. A professional design would have the entire bar not display when scripting is disabled.

6. I don't know why, but sometimes your links along the top have a purple background before the light grey one... actually I might know why is it an image? Let's see... bingo! Must be, because without images the background is purple. Well that's easily fixed with CSS.

7. A couple of other things don't look quite right in Mozilla: top links, placement of "01" and "02", cellspacing and border colour in the "information" table.

My original design for plamdi.com (before upload) looked pretty much exactly like it does now - except that in Mozillia it looked horribly different. And I thought "well every website I've ever written to date was basically for IE, so I may as well go about making a generic one for a change". The changes to the HTML and CSS weren't all that complicated either, and now I have a site that displays 95% identical in both browsers - I could have it 99%, but I figure some subtle difference never hurt.

Yours is more like 76% identical. It's an excellent design, and the photos you've chosen are stunning, so it would do justice to the site for it to display more like it does in IE in Mozilla too.
icontact said:
btw: youre being hosted by - icontact-hosting.com not iconnect-hosting.com
Ty.

this is a very comprehensive review on the design and I grateful for the time and effor that you have put in to submit this review. I have taken on board each and every single point that you have made and I'm doing my best to incorporate them when editing and creating the new pages of the website.

This design is something that I have devoted a lot of time and effort to mainly because I want it to last for quite some time before I have to think about another design layout.

the stock photos that I have used on the site are handpicked from a handful of royalty free photos that I have found on the net and I'm glad to know that at least my taste isnt that bad.

Once again I want to thank all those that have commented and made suggestions on this design and I'm hoping that it will be completed in the near future...

:)

icontact said:
this is a very comprehensive review on the design and I grateful for the time and effor that you have put in to submit this review. I have taken on board each and every single point that you have made and I'm doing my best to incorporate them when editing and creating the new pages of the website.

This design is something that I have devoted a lot of time and effort to mainly because I want it to last for quite some time before I have to think about another design layout.
Yeah, you should find though that most of the work is behind you now. I actually downloaded Mozillia solely for testing my site; I know it's a good browser but I still prefer Maxthon which is basically a tabbed-IE.

Looks good. one complaint. I have to go along with whoever it was about the background. Where the area at the bottom is showing it's a little much for the rest of the darker tone, it blasts your eyes. Try to shade this down just a couple of clicks toward a dimgrey. :)

I love it. except for the numbers

01. 02. 03. etc etc

very good color mix.
it looks almost like an application interface.

Last edited:
Back