• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is CPANEL a must for free hosts

I've never managed to get VHCS working on my Ubuntu test server at home, hence I can't test it out.

Will try again after I've upgraded Ubuntu to the latest version.

I just prefer Cpanel, only because that is what I am used to. I have seen other file managers on free hosts, but still prefer Cpanel

no.... cPanel is not a MUST... but it does attract a user to that host more then it would if they were using say... Webmin.

Direct Admin is far easier to use than cpanel, it lacks a few options, but its pretty much just as good. Never used webadmin and ensim is pretty much crap.

in my opinion, yes.
cpanel has many more features, some of which I find extremely useful (subdomains, redirects, addon domains, custom error pages), and the other panels just don't have enough features.

Layeredpanel is Hard to use if you dont know how to use SSH

thats a lie. layeredpanel is incredibly easy to use, and is far better for free hosts!
users, its better for you too, you just havn't realised:p
hosts who use layeredpanel can stop abusers more effectivly and so are less likely to be shut down. also, layeredpanel is lighter on server resources than cpanel so runs faster.

in my opinion, yes.
cpanel has many more features, some of which I find extremely useful (subdomains, redirects, addon domains, custom error pages), and the other panels just don't have enough features.

No, you can do all those things in directAdmin and most of them without an admin panel, there's no reason to have cpanel.

And remember, its a FREE host, you shouldn't be demanding a control panel at all.

Last edited:
No, you can do all those things in directAdmin and most of them without an admin panel, there's no reason to have cpanel.

And remember, its a FREE host, you shouldn't be demanding a control panel at all.

Umm if you don't give them a control panel, are you going to give them shell access? Lol they have to use something to use their account. I think a CP is more for the hosts safety if anything :lol:.

No, they don't need shell access either. Custom 404 pages can be done with htaccess so can most of the things mentioned above. All they really need is ftp.

No, they don't need shell access either. Custom 404 pages can be done with htaccess so can most of the things mentioned above. All they really need is ftp.

Cold aren't we....

You know I'd like to see how long you would survive free hosting without a panel, where you had to set up every virtual apache server, every virtual ftp account ect by yourself. Doesn't make too much sense business wise. :rolleyes2

There's more to a panel than just the client side of things.

I've never used shell access for stuff other than server configuration etc :S - Never on a website.

I've never used shell access for stuff other than server configuration etc :S - Never on a website.

I have, I can. But man that is a serious infraction in the case of wasting time. I mean seriously, who has got all that time to shell in the entire website account. Especially if you're making 30-40 requests a day. You couldn't even do 30 in one day.

Well, the admin of the server can have a user, I'm saying the users themselves don't really need a panel. And if they get one, they shouldn't demand particular one. Its not like Cpanel is the magic key to website success.

Well, the admin of the server can have a user, I'm saying the users themselves don't really need a panel. And if they get one, they shouldn't demand particular one. Its not like Cpanel is the magic key to website success.

Has it ever occured that maybe that is what they prefer for a panel? And as for "demanding" a certain panel, I dont think that is unreasonable. Most hosts require ads or posting so they make $$$, it isnt unreasonable to as for a specific panel.

Back