• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is that possible to change partition size in XP without losing data?

Got my home HDD partitions at size of 10 and 370 GB. After some time I realized 10 GB for system files is not really enough, but having a lot of data at my D drive I do not want to lose it.

So I am asking - is there any way to change the size of partition without necessity of data loss?

I use win XP sp3

You can only extend a partition on XP to include adjacent free space. You can NOT decrease a partition or adjust space from one partition to another.

It is only possible to change partition sizes with third party software like Partition Magic for example.

Last edited:
It's quite easy now and there are free tools to do it safely, Parted Magic is one I use and have never had a problem, it's free and is pretty powerful.

It runs as a live CD, so you boot from it and do it from there - http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

Download it and burn it to a CD then boot from it.

If your not to sure just double check everything, and untill you click to commit the changes you can still quit as it won't make changes till then :)

Then just go and make a cup of tea till it finishes and reboots (as it may have to move data in the big partition up a bit).

Last edited:
With Windows you should always run a defrag before you attempt to resize your partition
in order to avoid loss of data. (And do a backup too...) Good luck!

Back