• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for a VPS, for a online store

[CH]Josh

I am in the process of setting up a store for some clients of mine. They will be running an online store that sells alternative medicines.

The store will be powered by Magento.

Here are some definite requirements:

1. Needs to be a reliable VPS. This means very little to no downtime and it cannot be on a oversold server.
  2. Needs to be fully managed. My clients have basic computer knowledge. They will need someone to manage it and take care of things when something goes wrong with it. I will be working with them to get Magento setup and working properly, they just need the VPS to be managed.
  3. Magento is developed for Linux servers, so it must be Linux based. It also must be running Apache.
  4. This goes into the fully managed portion but, Magento has pretty specific requirements on what modules are needed and what versions. The VPS will have to be setup to run perfectly with Magento.
cPanel and WHM would be a plus, however we could possibly settle for DirectAdmin or something similar.

They will need to be able to run SSL on their store. They will need the extra IP addresses in order to setup a SSL certificate.

At first, this store will not need tons of resources. However, overtime they will need the flexibility to upgrade should their package not be enough.

The store will potentially have downloadable products and streaming videos as well.

The idea is to start them off small and if their store kicks off, they can get a higher end package to handle the load.

The VPS provider should also have experience and have been around for at least a few years, the longer the better.

I'd like to get some price quotes to show them.

Thanks

wat is the spec of the VPS u r looking for? example, how much RAM, disk space and bandwitdh u need?

what is ur budget for this VPS?

wat is the spec of the VPS u r looking for? example, how much RAM, disk space and bandwitdh u need?

what is ur budget for this VPS?

I am honestly unsure about the specs. My assumption is that, since I am looking for a VPS provider that has been around for a good amount of time, they would have dealt with customers needing something similar in the past.

It needs to be enough to sustain a growing online store. It can't come crashing down if they get a sudden influx of customers. The speed needs to be good, because slow speeds is a good way to lose customers.

Disk space should be reasonable. At this time, I am unsure if they will be hosting the downloads and videos on the server or if they will be finding a separate one for that. The videos and downloads are something they plan on doing later on down the road.

Bandwidth will need to be reasonable. At first, because they are new, there will not be much traffic. Later on, if they grow like planned, they will need more.

As Dan pointed out, there is no budget right now. I need price quotes so I can run them by my clients and then we can find the best deal for what they need.

[CH]Josh;1086537 said:
I am honestly unsure about the specs. My assumption is that, since I am looking for a VPS provider that has been around for a good amount of time, they would have dealt with customers needing something similar in the past.

It needs to be enough to sustain a growing online store. It can't come crashing down if they get a sudden influx of customers. The speed needs to be good, because slow speeds is a good way to lose customers.

Disk space should be reasonable. At this time, I am unsure if they will be hosting the downloads and videos on the server or if they will be finding a separate one for that. The videos and downloads are something they plan on doing later on down the road.

Bandwidth will need to be reasonable. At first, because they are new, there will not be much traffic. Later on, if they grow like planned, they will need more.

As Dan pointed out, there is no budget right now. I need price quotes so I can run them by my clients and then we can find the best deal for what they need.

Based on your request elsewhere for a host that can handle Magento, I'd say a mid-sized VPS would be a good starting point.

For instance

* 512 MB of real RAM
* 1024 MB of swap
* 40 GB of space
* 400 GB/month bandwidth
* 1 IP address
* $30/month

Someone I know sells that. I'll let him know you're in the market and see if he can help you out.

That's basically enough server to handle a couple hundred users at a time on an average sized site.

We're not very old company, but we can offer you following,

VPS Server 2

Available Operating Systems
  • CentOS 4, 5, 5.2, 5.3
  • Debian 4, 5
  • Fedora 9, 10
  • Gentoo
  • Ubuntu 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04
Available Control Panels
  • cPanel License ( Unlimited Domains ): $14.95/mo
  • DirectAdmin License ( Unlimited Domains ): $9.95/mo
  • Plesk License ( 100 Domains ): $14.95/mo
  • Plesk License ( Unlimited Domains ): $19.95/mo
  • Webmin Control Panel : FREE + Free Installation
  • Kloxo Control Panel : FREE + Free Installation
--- Fully Managed Service is also available.
--- Additional Ip's are also available at industry cheap prices.

Since there is no specific requirement yet, it think package as below would be suitable.

VPS 2
* 1.5Ghz CPU (Guaranteed)
* 1GB RAM (Guaranteed)
* 50GB Disk Space
* 1TB Monthly Bandwidth
* 2 IP Addresses
* OpenVZ With vePortal
* Multiple Choices Of Linux OS
Price: $10/Month or $100/Year

I realize that your requesting a VPS here, but wouldn't shared hosting be more economical at this stage. Here is my reasoning: You start out on a shared server with a dedicated IP for the SSL certificate, you have everything your client needs and a managed source all in one. If your clients site grows large enough upgrade to a VPS then.

SitePenguin can offer you a good stable shared host that meets all of the requirements for Magento. When the need arises we can upgrade your client to a VPS seamlessly and without hassle on your part. I personally think this would be a better more affordable option.

but it seems like the OP do not want the hassle of migrating site when the hosting account is too full, thats y he straight go for VPS to have less hassle

Hello!

We are currently running a great promotion, where you get 50% more ram and 50% off your first month. All plans come fully managed with cPanel, and placed on powerful 8-Core Xeon Nehalem servers and enterprise RAID-10 disk arrays for redundancy and performance.

VPS-P1
  • 80 GB RAID-10 Disk Space
  • 450 GB Premium Bandwidth
  • Dedicated 512 MB RAM -> Now get 50% More -> 768 MB RAM!
  • 2 IPs (More Available)
  • FREE cPanel + WHM + Everything you need!
  • Full Root Access
  • Full SSH Access
  • Fully Managed
  • SolusVM Panel
  • Reboot, Rebuild, Install and Re-install Whatever you Like!
  • First Month Only $24.99 -> $49.99 every month after
  • Learn More | Order Now

Unlike most hosts, we offer a full line of products, so when you outgrow the above plan, you can easily upgrade to the next available plan, or upgrade to a managed hybrid package or even a managed dedicated server with no headaches or downtime.

Setup is fast, usually within a couple of hours of payment.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via sales@itsjusthosting.com, or contact us on live chat!

Thanks and happy holidays

Luke

Last edited:
but it seems like the OP do not want the hassle of migrating site when the hosting account is too full, thats y he straight go for VPS to have less hassle

and that's why we volunteered to move it seamlessly from shared to our VPS. They would have to do nothing and it would be just like another upgrade.

SitePenguin,
# Needs to be a reliable VPS. This means very little to no downtime and it cannot be on a oversold server.

See this part? He wanted to avoid any downtime. Transferring from a web hosting account to a VPS will causing some downtime as u have to wait for the domain to propagate to the new name server.

SitePenguin,

See this part? He wanted to avoid any downtime. Transferring from a web hosting account to a VPS will causing some downtime as u have to wait for the domain to propagate to the new name server.

What?.

It takes less then a hour to transfer to a new name server if you do it right. :rolleyes:

:spider: *scream* *runs* :hide: *shoots at spider* :usflag:

Ok, enough with the icon spam. Seriously, switching DNS servers results in very little downtime accept for the few users who ISP sucks (takes a while to update internal DNS servers.)

What?.

It takes less then a hour to transfer to a new name server if you do it right. :rolleyes:

Ok, enough with the icon spam. Seriously, switching DNS servers results in very little downtime accept for the few users who ISP sucks (takes a while to update internal DNS servers.)

If you do it right and leave the site on both the new and old servers there is no downtime at all :D

Yes, just set the TTL to 60 sec before you move, then once you get the ip in the dns server and your new one is up set it back how it was. just leave the old server/ip up for an 15 min then there is none at all. Although any good host will do this for you. (as long as you use their nameservers that is)

Keep giving the price quotes, if anybody has not already. I'll be meeting with my clients soon and will run by all the available price quotes to them. I'll contact whoever ends up as the choice.

What?.

when the site is active, and his clients purchased something on the old site while DNS is propagating, then it will be some trouble. unless lock the whole site to maintenance mode for 1 whole day to make sure every ISP DNS is properly propagated.

if do this, it will be nothing much difference with clients unable to access the site as well..

Hello Josh,

Feel free to check out our VPS offers at www.junaweb.com/vps.html - We have been in business for well over a year. Our most basic package starts at $29.95/month where you get 30gb space and 300gb bandwidth with 512mb Guaranteed RAM and 768mb Burst ram.

You also have access to our SolusVM VPS panel where you can restart, shut down, and boot the VPS as you please. You also get full root access. cPanel is available and with cPanel/whm, the VPS comes fully managed. We also do not oversell our nodes so you don't have to worry about being packed into a server with many other people.

Let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions, you can also contact our sales team at sales@junaweb.com any time.

Regards

edit: you can use the coupon Holiday VPS Rush by the end of the month to save 20% off the entire order for your first month. Goes for all packages including cPanel licenses, It's a great way to try us out.

Back