• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

LxAdmin

LxAdmin shared hosting... Good Idea?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

SC-Daniel

Hey Guys,

I've been playing around with LxAdmin a bit lately and it has really grown on me! I am thinking of using it to offer a lower in price shared hosting division for those people who need quality hosting but don't particularly care what control panel they have to use.

I love how a complete LxAdmin system can run on about 15MB of RAM leaving TONS of RAM for customer's sites.

What do you guys think about offering LxAdmin shared hosting? Would it sell very well? Startup costs would be virtually nothing because I would be creating a Xen VM on one of our servers and using it to start.

Tell me what you think!

-Daniel

It would be unique, but your customers might shun you because there are loads of other providers with cPanel and powerful servers as well. You might want to try it out with a relatively cheap server first ;)

We already offer cPanel shared hosting as well... But as a lower priced option, possibly including a free base account, I am interested in how well it would go over!

Since we use HyperVM for our VPS management, LxAdmin is included. I am thinking about setting up a Xen VPS and using it to start.

Id give it a shot, ive never use it myself.
If the prices are ok, and it has atleast some good features, peopl emaybe interested. Tho i think youll find most ppl want cPanel.

Its worth a shot, since you mentioned the startup cost being cheap for you. You havnt got much to loose.

I use LXAdmin for hosting as well on some plans and it actually went down really well with the customers... It uses about 20MB when idle on my 2GB server which used to use about 300-500MB with cPanel. It's also much easier on the CPU and great for proxy hosting ;)

Hey,

LXAdmin is good in the shared environment. Personally I don't like the interference of it. It does all the basics of cPanel and it allows you to offer hosting at a more reliable price because of less control panel costs & more RAM available to you.

Now I wonder if LxAdmin could possibly be skinned... Hmmmm

Thanks for the comments! I don't really have anything to lose, so I think I'll throw it on a Xen VM and do a call for testers to see how it really works out.

Shoot me a PM if you need testers ;) I wouldn't mind trying LxAdmin out :D

Will do! I want to do some experimentations and learn my way around some of the features I haven't touched yet, before I start going public with it.

Now off to continue the search for a way to skin it ;)

What sort of disk space and other resources would be fair for a BETA?

I've never done BETA accounts before so I wasn't sure...

I am about to build a new VM on one of our servers to do the BETA accounts off of. Once I do that I am still looking into some skinning options.

Has anyone read anything about LxAdmin's clustering system? It seems completely awesome and I may end up giving it a go too ;)

Maybe a 100MB space and 1GB bandwidth for each account or smth? Make sure it's oversold because you can't possibly give non-oversold as it's a total hell waste of money.

Well looks like by the end of the day today I will be ready to do a BETA. Everything seems to be running great so far but I want to put it under some further tests before the actual release.

Currently the BETA accounts will have:
100MB Disk Space
1000MB Bandwidth
10 E-Mail
5 FTP
10 MySQL

The BETA period will probably be 30-45 days but may be extended if further testing is required. At the end of the BETA period I will have everyone that participated fill out a survey and give feedback on if it would be a good idea to offer this as a permanent service or not. Depending on the feedback I receive, all BETA testers will be allowed to continue to use their accounts at a heavily discounted rate.

I will post more details later this afternoon on how and where to signup. I would most likely limit the BETA to the first 10-15 signups.

-Daniel

Cheers Daniel :p

ye, somthing small is fine, just make some small packages with all features enabled. We can mess about for a while and report any problems.
Perhaps even make a quick forum to discuss it.

Who knows, if its a good system, perhaps ill look into it myself. I like to check out a bit of everything :D

Everything is ready to go... Except for some reason I cannot get the DNS server to be authoritative.

Off to do a bit more tweaking to see if I can get it.

This could be a great idea, but expect that most of people who will signup, will probably use there a account for making a proxy site.

This could be a great idea, but expect that most of people who will signup, will probably use there a account for making a proxy site.

Yeah, I thought about that... But the use of proxies on any of our servers is strictly prohibited by our Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy.

If I find out that someone is using the BETA account to run any form of a proxy their account will be disabled and they will have a nice little email in there inbox from us.

Back