• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

MegabyteStored Hosting

alphaneutrino

Free Hosting @ MegabyteStored Hosting

INTRODUCTION...
Welcome to this announcement thread. My name is Evgeny (alphaneutrino) and I am opening the doors to a new web host called MegabyteStored Hosting. The official site opening and sign-up date is January 1, 2002.

ABOUT ME...
This won't take long so don't worry about getting bored :p I'm a nineteen (19) year old, getting ready to say goodbye to the teen years. I currently attend a community-college and work part-time in a computer related technical job in San Francisco, California's downtown financial district. I have always believed that a significant amount of honesty is required to be successful in life. Of course to my dismay many companies and entrepreneurs do not share my view. Still, I hope to always maintain honesty with any customers, employees, and associates I may have in a business venture. I think that's enough bio, so let's go on!

INSPIRATION...
I have been a web designer/developer for over 5 years and ever since I got my first GeoCities account in the mid-ninties have been fascinated by web hosting. What was great about GeoCities then and a little later Xoom, was that they always seemed very easy to use and friendly services. As the dot-com phenomena took over and free web hosts like these and many others switched to forced advertisements, I became upset and went on a quest. My quest was to find a free web host that maintained reliability, friendliness, and features while not making its users feel like the company was only out to make money. So to this day I am still looking and as I discover one, another one goes down for one of a number of reasons. From this apparent lack of a decent free web host, I have been forced to show the Internet community of web masters and surfers that a company that is dedicated to serving its users can and will exist.

THE REAL DEAL...
I am sure that the skepticism is running high if you have read up to this point, so let us address the real problems that I face in starting up this web host. The first and foremost problem is start-up capital. I do not have much of this so my plans for this web host are very small scale right now. With the funding that I currently posses, I will be able to host 150-250 users. I do not want you to get the wrong idea, because my plans do not only involve hosting users for free, but also having some users pay a fee based on overage. I will be more specific of what I mean by that fee plan further down so do not attack yet :classic2: I will run this web host at a loss for at least six (6) months. During the month of May 2002, I will announce the continued plans for the web host. So basically, I am solid on keeping MegabytStored Hosting online and kicking for six (6) months.

HONESTY...
My promise to my users is to always be honest about anything related to MegabyteStored. For example, I plan to release financial information, server bandwidth statistics, total members hosted, features available, etc. Basically, information that is not private to members and will not hurt someone with its release will always be available to the members. Even in situations where I have screwed up, I will post exactly what happened and how it was or will be remedied. The fact is, while truth is not always good to hear or speak, it is almost always important to know.

OFFERINGS...
Well here we are, at the most important part of this post. What am going to offer my members? Well, truthfully, anything you want! Here is what I mean: MegabyteStored Hosting will offer every user a completely DYNAMIC array of features. What it all comes down to is, whatever you want to have. As I know that examples are always helpful, here is one:

Hypothetically I, Evgeny, sign up with MegabyteStored Hosting.
This is what I get: POINTS (that's all :biggrin2: )

With these points I can pick whatever features i want. For example, let's say I want:

(2 points) 20MB of web space (10MB/point)
(2 points) 2GB allowed transfer (1GB/point)
(1 point) 1 POP3 e-mail account (1 POP3/point)
(1 point) Domain Name hosted (as opposed to sub-domain default)
(1 point) CGI-BIN access (for PERL)
(1 point) PHP4 Scripting
(1 point) 1 MySQL DB (5MB)
(1 point) 1 FTP account (for upload)

That's the distribution if I am given ten (10) monthly points to use as I please (point relations to actual features are still tentative). So basically you may think that this is no different than other web hosts, but what is really special is that the day that I need another ten (10) megabytes of web space I can take a point from one of these features and redistribute it to the web space to increase my space to thirty (30) megabytes. Of course based on this, you may find it obvious that you will at some point run out of points to redistribute but still need more features. Well, to that end, I will be offering multiple ways to pay a fee on either a montly, quarterly (w/discount), semi-annual (w/more discount), annual (w/significant discount) for more points. I cannot tell you exactly what the fee per point is yet, but I promise you that it will not hurt your wallet. Keep in mind that the amount of points you get on sign-up will not necessarily be ten (10) so do not fret about that either.

SUPPORT...
This is the thing I really want to make clear. When you become a member of MegabyteStored Hosting I will treat you as my friend, my neighbor, and especially my dear customer. I will always answer any questions that you have to the best of my abilities and if you need some help with something MegabyteStored related, I will try and be there for you. The point is, I am one of you, and therefore I know what it feels like to see autoresponder messages for three days while your website is down and you have been paying $20 a month. So the idea is, I will do my best to prevent such a situation. In the long run, I hope to befriend my members, and not just have cold business-type relations with them (even the members that are mooching :eek: .

CONCLUSION...
If you've read everything so far, I hope you see that I am trying to be a little original with this web host. The reason that I want each and every account to be as dynamic as possible is so that nobody will be worried on the sign-up day about what plan to choose. If you want a featureset that is triple what I mentioned above, you will probably end up paying a fee for it with MegabyteStored Hosting, but don't forget that you can always start off with a free account with the base amount of points to see if you like it. If that is not the case, then just cancel the account, no worries. If you like what you see and want more features than your current points can handle, not to worry, you put a little bit of money on the line, and you are all set. Then if you decided to scale back on your site, go back to your base point total and you are all set for free mooching ;)

By the way, the URL for the site is obvious, but I am not going to post it here because of forum rules. The URL will not take you anywhere yet though, so do not waste your time.

If you want to ask me a question about the hosting or anything in general, please feel free. Also, I will be happy to accept any comments that you have on all that hogwash above :D

Thanx for reading, and I hope to have you as a member!

ADDITION...
As I have forgotten to mention forced ADs, I would like to clarify that: no, there will never be any forced advertising imposed on my members!

-- alphaneutrino

Last edited:
Good question about the ADs. And I am sorry that I have forgotten to mention it. No, there will never be any ADs forced onto my members. A free web host should be truly free and in my opinion, forced ADs make a free web host's advertising for "FREE" be a false statement!

-- alphaneutrino

Originally posted by Infection
It's not very convincing to know that you do not put any form of ads. But, anyway, your FWH plan is great! ;)

While I agree with you on the fact that an advertising driven web host is more likely to cover its costs, I freely admitted in my announcement that I would be running it at a loss. This puts a strain on me, but I think that six (6) months of running this host will allow me to find other revenue channels that will help me cover my costs and hopefully allow me to run my host past the first six (6) months!

-- alphaneutrino

well i'll be the first to sign up... if we ge domain hosting can we have subdomains pointing to subfolders in our directories or something?

Originally posted by andytandoc
well i'll be the first to sign up... if we ge domain hosting can we have subdomains pointing to subfolders in our directories or something?

Yes, you will have that ability. Now keep in mind, you will need to dedicate points for features like these (i cannot tell you how many yet, but i promise that it will be fair). I have not released a complete list of options and features as of yet because I will only be sure of them a few days before Jan. 1, 2002.

-- alphaneutrino

How the hell are we supposed to know how much bandwidth we're using though? Most of us (webmasters which use free hosting services) don't have the means to monitor our site's bandwidth.

Nice plan, but will you last without no ads? How will you get revenue to keep it open? I've seen too many hosts offer a plan too good to be true and shut down 2 months later.

If this thing flies, though, I'd gladly sign up for an account. It sounds promising. Good luck!

Originally posted by Cracker
How the hell are we supposed to know how much bandwidth we're using though? Most of us (webmasters which use free hosting services) don't have the means to monitor our site's bandwidth.

You will be consistently informed of how much bandwidth you are using. I will describe the exact means of a member obtaining or receiving this information when a member signs up because I am still deciding between two competing methods and therefore cannot offer a definite way. Good question though!

-- alphaneutrino

Originally posted by HyperKnight
Nice plan, but will you last without no ads? How will you get revenue to keep it open? I've seen too many hosts offer a plan too good to be true and shut down 2 months later.

If this thing flies, though, I'd gladly sign up for an account. It sounds promising. Good luck!

I cannot give you an answer to your question of the neverending existence of MegabyteStored Hosting, but as I pointed out in a previous post and in the thread-starting post (announcement), I am going to pony up the cash for at least the first six months of hosting. This is not to say that I will be able to take an unlimited amount of members, but suffice it to say that the members I do accept from start to server capacity (it is possible that I may add more servers as time passes assuming I can afford it) will have accounts until at least May 31, 2002.

-- alphaneutrino

wooow! That would be great! I allready made a sugestion for a host like this a while ago, finally somebody got smart!
Also an idea would be to let the members be capable of having your ads, and getting more points for the revenue they make.

Originally posted by gyrbo
wooow! That would be great! I allready made a sugestion for a host like this a while ago, finally somebody got smart!
Also an idea would be to let the members be capable of having your ads, and getting more points for the revenue they make.

The idea that you mentioned on allowing members to run ADs for more points is good and I have considered exactly that. The problem with it is that I would need to find some sponsors that would pay me decent money to equate the amount of money I will charge per point for those paying. Otherwise, advertising for points will not allow me to cover the cost of giving a member points.

I scrapped that idea (at least until decent advertising becomes easier to find) and decided that if a member is willing to put advertising on his site to either subsidize his web host or just earn an extra buck, there would not be any reason why he could not find his own advertiser and pay for points based on his advertising revenue.

I hope that clarifies my reasoning!

-- alphaneutrino

Originally posted by GameSource
Well, id have no problem putting banners on my site.

I hate banners. Just make sure that if you offer members the choice of ads allow them to choose the position of the ads so that they fit in with their design. And don't use big pop ups.

Originally posted by GameSource
Well, id have no problem putting banners on my site.

I understand that like you many webmasters do not mind putting some type of advertising on their website in return for some compensation (like points in this case) but like I have pointed out in an earlier post, until advertising becomes worthwhile to use as a source of revenue for MegabyteStored Hosting, I will not provide that option.

-- alphaneutrino

Originally posted by meow
Cool. I like the point system. Got an URL yet? :)

It is great to know that you like the point system. I am not going to post the URL because it is against forum rules but if you are interested in becoming a member (when MegabyteStored Hosting opens on Jan. 1, 2002) I would be glad to accept a personal message from you. In the personal message please include your e-mail address and an approximate configuration of what you will need initially (in terms of the features of your account such as 10MB server space, 1GB traffic, PHP, etc.). When I am ready to accept members, I will send you a reminder e-mail and the URL for MegabyteStored Hosting! This applies to anyone who is interested, just send me a PM with the above stated info and I will send you a reminder on opening day (Jan. 1, 2002).

-- alphaneutrino

Originally posted by cheatpark

I hate banners. Just make sure that if you offer members the choice of ads allow them to choose the position of the ads so that they fit in with their design. And don't use big pop ups.
I understand that you dislike advertising and to clarify: if I ever give members the option of placing advertising on their websites in exchange for more points, the members will have as much control of the type and location of ads as I can possibly give them.

-- alphaneutrino

If ya ever do, see if ya can get some game related ones :biggrin2:

Well, cant wait for ya to start the service, seems like a pretty good idea, ill be waiting.

Back