• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Most of you are resellers

pidan

After days hang on this forum, I know lots of host providers now. I know most(maybe half) ppl on this forum are only resellers, some of you don't have one server in your hand, even a VPS.

Yesterday I chatted with a host provider(backycorp.com) on his live support. When I ask about server information like location and spec(CPU,RAM etc), he said his company has over 100 servers, he doesn't remember the special one. What's even worse? When I ask where is the Asia server located(he posted he has UK, US, Asia server arround in his thread every time he shows)? He said that's in HongKong. :lol:

Then by some chance I search "reseller" in the forum, I have my answers. He is just another reseller for hostnine. He doesn't know the server spec, he even doesn't know the Asia server is located in Singapore. All he knows is "all servers have basic two CPUs and more than 2Gb RAM, most are more than that" . That's really "good" answer to customers.

He has a monthly paid reseller account which is only $25/m, contains 25G space and 250G BW, then he sells 3G space and 100G BW at $1/m.

I am not going to talk about his overselling. That's most ppl did in this industry.

Not only him on this forum resells service from other company, I could have a small analysis to conclude this:

1. Resellers who registered at "byet hosting"(US) and "resellercluster"(EU). What can I say, they are free, but they are crab. "byet" has an annoying Vista Panel, slow FTP speed, "resellercluster" only allow php4 also not a good panel for free users. But they just fit to the starters to provide a free service and no need to spend one pence. Anyone knows a page about hosting won't choose them. And what reseller get from "byet"s? Mostly I can see just traffic for your domain. The one who is sitting back of you could counting money but you have to promote hardly to get a paid customer who paid to the company, not u(yes, you get 10%,maybe more of them). After all, you may have some traffic for your domain, then sell it at about 10-100 dollars after one year's advertisement(I know you can make tons of money based on your site, you have your way).

BTW, I think they are not resellers, they are ads for "byet" and others. They don't have any company or space on Internet, yes, I call them ads(just me, not so angry about me). :shame:

I am not saying these resellers are bad guys, if I don't have a pence, I would start from this level as well. I don't need to pay for anything and I don't lose anything.

And I know many ppl will attack about my words for this, but I said the truth. You have your right to attack my words, you could not change the truth.

2. Resellers who has paid account under other companies. They don't have any server or VPS, but they provide better service than the first kind of "resellers". Cpanel or DA are essential tools for them. Overall they could be nice and skillful to run their business for free users and paid users. Maybe half of them earned more than $600 a month, my guess. But the other half are still worrying about next month's bill for account, deciding quit or not, that's a big question.

To those failure resellers: learn more about your upper company(that you choose) before you start, when someone asking you where is your Asian server, tell him it is in Singapore instead of HongKong. When someone asking about your server spec, tell him Intel Q9300 or Intel E5530 with 8GB memory or anything. If you don't know these or don't know how to check these, do your homework first.

3. Those who paid for VPS and dedicated server on internet. Finally you choose this level, you are not a reseller anymore! But there is more ability and responsible you should have. At least you should be an expert on hosting service.

I am not suggesting you which one to choose, everyone has own right to choose which kind server(service) he use.

All service has its own features, the second and third kind of service providers are try to give us cheap and nice quality hosting service, maybe free!!. And the first kind is free and stable, in spite of crab service, they stand still more than 5 years(I mean byet and resellercluster, not the ads, you know).:beer:

Now I can say, most of you here are resellers.
Thx for reading. Have a nice day!

And stay away from 0-0-0webhost. They only allow 6000 files per user. that may just a size of Joomla application(which is about 4000 files).

Last edited:
Well, most web hosts start with a reseller package.... Then, as they grow, they move to a more appropriate solution (VPS or dedicated).

Yeah, I think you hit the bottom line. At least the server is stable. VPS, dedicated or a single reseller is not really matter.

I have 2 master resellers, and 1 reseller. I never oversell. I am going to get a vps when a website I host requires 5GB+ of bandwidth a month.

I have been around for 2 years and all my clients say how great I am as an admin and that their website is fast, never lags and has downtime.

Just because it's a reseller doesn't mean it can't be stable. You can still have unstable VPS/Dedicated hosts. It's just the flexibility available. I'd prefer to be on a reseller host that's good, and has a good company behind it - that way you know it's secure. Rather than having a user who is familiar with resellers but not server security.

Though I can't complain I like who I host with. (not free though)

OP, why dont you just get paid hosting then? if you hate free hosting providers so much.

Last edited:
I have my paid hosting. And I was querying about paid plans with that unprofessional reseller.

there are many famous hosting providers such as godaddy bluehost lunarpages. you should choose them if you want to get better service. of course they are paid hosting.

OP, why dont you just get paid hosting then? if you hate free hosting providers so much.

Well he is not here to get paid or non paid hosting... He just wrote his experience with a non professional host.

Well i totally agree with pidan here... that most of web host in here are resellers. Now i am not saying its bad at all, but what i am saying is a non experience reseller is bad.

90% reseller oversells here and just think about it for a sec a reseller got 25gb disk quota and he is selling 50gb???. Now that's only one reseller i am talking about, what if there are 10 reseller on a of 250gb sata / raid server and they all oversell... just do the math... and its only a mater of time before the server gets overload and crashed.

but for a free hosting everything you get is good... its free anyway.. so who carez lolz .....

You clearly don't have a lot of experience as a customer :D

There has NEVER been a guarantee that paid hosting is better than free hosting... NEVER.

Just because you pay for it, it doesn't guarantee that you will get a better service... No one can ever guarantee that... Keep that in mind.

Not everyone choose free hosting because they don't have money... Some just choose it because the host provides a wonderful service... Ask your members that, if you don't believe me. :)

Last edited:

There has NEVER been a guarantee that paid hosting is better than free hosting... NEVER.

Just because we pay for it, it doesn't mean that we will get a better service... No one can ever guarantee that... Keep that in mind.

Not everyone choose free hosting because they don't have money... Some just choose it because the host provides a wonderful service... Ask your members that, if you don't believe me. :)

I do agree that. I have a paid plan on Pronethosting, but what can I say. The are stable. But their server is not located in a fast data center. Many free service I tried here has better speed, may not stable as that.

this all goes back to a post i saw a few weeks back. you have to know who you are hosting with, what they have and most importantly if they plan to stay in buisness. i agree with eHD1, if its free then be happy if you pay for a service that isn't what you counted on then its on you for not doing your homework, or enough of it.

Well i totally agree with pidan here... that most of web host in here are resellers. Now i am not saying its bad at all, but what i am saying is a non experience reseller is bad.

But not as bad as a non experienced host running their own dedi or VPS. For as big as they are, how many times have you heard Hostgator, Bluehost, Lunarpages, ect getting hacked. Wouldn't you feel a little better knowing your site was hosted with a Hostgator reseller (as an example) as compared to a novice with his first dedi thinking CPanel will solve all his/her problems.

I agree,
I have said it before that I have found free hosting companies to offer better service than paid hosting. I have had nothing but problems and poor support with most paid hosts in the past. If I ever do need paid hosting again in the future I will surely go with a bigger and more reliable host like Yahoo.

Just because you pay for it, it doesn't guarantee that you will get a better service... No one can ever guarantee that... Keep that in mind.

I agree, and that's why most people say do your homework before you buy a paid hosting :)

I will not buy any VPS or a dedi just because their website looks nice... or just because they are saying their uptime is 99.9%. I will not take any host's word for it...

But with free hosting, it doesn't matter much.... and that's why i said earlier... free hosting is better in the sence you don't have to do anything lolz coz you getting it free... But i personally go with paid one.... :)

If I ever do need paid hosting again in the future I will surely go with a bigger and more reliable host like Yahoo.

Cm'on. I'm sure there are some reliable ones around here?

Cm'on. I'm sure there are some reliable ones around here?

Honestly speaking, I can't really trust the paid web hosting companies here... No matter how old they are. I've experienced being a customer of 3-5 year-old companies... and they are not good...

Some experiences:
- Yentae => owner ran away...
- Crissic => well, you know... :D

I only trust those big companies like SoftLayer and ThePlanet. :)

Before you fly over clouds you need plane right? Who the hell can fly to the sky by flapping their hand? If you bought VPS/Dedicated/Colo you've to require servers/os/hosting knowledge. Those who buy without knowldege not only they'll get debt they'll fail from run hosting themselves if they get hacked, server crash incident they'll don't know how to handle. Start like that will gain only hell experience & waste bucks. Afford something too high but no expert will risk to debt instead of success to reach the goal.

That's why most hostees before they can have their own server they've to start with resellers which lot of cheap. Why?
1. Resellers is a good start to test your first time experience to run your hosting before jump to buy your own server. If you failed you'll gain wound less than bought server instantly. Also when you run resellers yourself. You'll have a lots of things to learn.
2. You can collect your revenue from your resellers or gain ads revenue. That'll save for your future funds to bought VPS/Dedicated/Colo later.

Before reach the goal you need to learn everything around before arrive the final stage to goal. The real problem is resellers are cheap & that many kids/n00bz can buy that stuff to host without knowledge just because they want to be noble without caring customers properly. That'll cause bad image for resellers to customers like you writen the thread 'n' here.

Whether it is reseller, vps or dedicated, all it matters to the customer is..

1. whether the service provider is stable or fly by night person.
2. whether he can provide the best possible uptime.
3. support in need.

There is no meaning in paying $$ per month to a big hosting company, when it is possible to get the same service from the same (big) company at just $ a month thru a reseller hosting service.

Ultimately, the customer thinks of his benefits and value for money and not whether it is a big company with 100's of server or not.

bp.

I have know William from BackyCorp for over 4 years now, and he is a great guy! He has been in the hosting business for about 5 years now, at least. I am sure he has at least 1 - 2 servers of his own but, he may also use a reseller for his free hosting clients, not sure about that. He is a true business man. I have talked with him on the phone, online, and we talk over email at least once a week. He is very knowledgable about the hosting industry, and has always gone the extra mile for his clients. Attacking him because he uses a reseller for some of his clients is not justified at all. :shame:

My opinion is this.

Most, if not all hosts (free or paid), start out using a reseller account. The reason for this is obvious. The cost of a server is too high to start out just hosting 2 - 3 people that are only paying $2 a month or so, and hoping that you can get a decent amount of signups quickly to at least cover the server costs.

Using a reseller account takes away a LOT of the headache involved in the hosting business. When you have a seperate company watching over the server, making sure it doesn't crash, and taking core of it if it does. Also, a lot of the reseller companies are offering free end user support these days, that is a HUGE plus in my opinion!

Just because someone is using a reseller account, does not make them a bad person, or less trustworthy. In fact, a startup host on a reseller is usually quicker to take care of support issues than the big companies. Why? Because they don't want to loose 1 of those 2 - 3 clients, and they don't have 2,000 clients that are constantly submitting tickets, and get bogged down with support issues. They also take a more personal approach by getting to know their clients, and what it is that they need or want. The big guys couldn't care less what you want or need, and really don't care if you decide to leave them, they have 1,999 other clients that cover exspenses!

I also started out on a reseller account when I first started a little over 4 years ago. I still have 1 reseller that I host some clients on, and there is nothing wrong with that! Yes, I graduated up to a server long ago but, if I started offering free shared hosting, I would get another reseller for that too!

Last edited:
Back