• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Multiple VPS's or Single Dedicated Server?

[JSH]John

JSHosts.com
NLC
I've been thinking for a while now, what do other hosts prefer? Multiple VPS's or a single dedicated server?

I was thinking that using multiple VPS's would be a good idea since if the VPS went down for some reason, not everyone would be affected. If the single dedicated server went down, everyone is affected...

I'd love to know what others think, and what others prefer to use. The only downside that I can see is that "VPS Optimised" shows up when you use the multiple VPS option...

I asked this same question on another related forum. The answer? Multiple VPS's with a smaller amount of customers is much better than a single server. :)

It's far easier to restore a smaller number of accounts on a failed VPS than hundreds on a full blown server ;)

Personally,
I have *SHARED* hosting customers on numerous VPS's hosted across 2 main nodes in different datacenters. I found if something was to happen, it is far easier to isolate the problem ;)

I also agree. We have just recently started deploying extremely powerful nodes, and then placing smaller amounts of shared/reseller clients on those VPS's. That way, if one abuses their resources or something fails, it affects a lesser amount of websites and is easier to respond to the problem.

[JSH]John;1074904 said:
I asked this same question on another related forum. The answer? Multiple VPS's with a smaller amount of customers is much better than a single server. :)

Ill second that

We are using multiple VPS to handle our Shared Hosting/Reseller accounts. It seem to be more effective and less stress to the server.

As everyone else is saying it is better to have multiple servers rather than just one. At least if one goes down it is only some of your customers not all of them.

I would perhaps save dedicated servers until you have enough business to warrent multiple.

Hope this helps.

I would go with the multiple VPS if you have a smaller client base. Once your client base expands, I would consolidate them onto dedicated servers.

Back