• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need host for YaBB forum & graphic arts page.

GeekWurkz

Well, the title pretty much says it all, but basically, what I need is this:
  • Minimum 50mb space
  • SSI & Perl Support
  • FTP Access
  • Reasonable file size limit

Also, the following would be nice, but not needed:
  • Frontpage extentsions
  • Shell Account
  • Ability to view server error log (for debugging YaBB installation)
  • No bandwith limit

Thanks,
Nick

I don't think there is one which will suit your needs... if you are serious about needing to host a YaBB, then you should invest in a paid service... otherwise, there is always www.boardnation.com

No bandwidth limit is almost unheard of in free hosting... what does it mean...

I'm currently hosting on a 56k modem and a Pentium 66 so my YaBB installation is rather well optimised. As well as that may be, I've signed up for one of the paid accounts at prohosting until I can get a newer server and a faster connection.

Thanks for your help,
Nick

I don't use the PHP port because I've found it alot harder to configure, and because I've already got the Perl version of the forum set up on my home server.
As for optimizing YaBB, for sp 1.1 I first got the YaBB Speedup mod from boardmod.org, and then I just went through, removed unused code and variables, and then cleaned up the html code it was sending out to speed up transfers. You lose the clicklog, but I think it's worth it.

BTW... Isn't this getting slightly OT? :topic: ;)

Originally posted by GeekWurkz
I don't use the PHP port because I've found it alot harder to configure, and because I've already got the Perl version of the forum set up on my home server.
As for optimizing YaBB, for sp 1.1 I first got the YaBB Speedup mod from boardmod.org, and then I just went through, removed unused code and variables, and then cleaned up the html code it was sending out to speed up transfers. You lose the clicklog, but I think it's worth it.

BTW... Isn't this getting slightly OT? :topic: ;)

Your problem isn't PErl vs. PHP but rather YaBB itself !!!

YaBB is a fairly worthless forum board that is somewhat
more difficult to install than the other forum boards, is lacking
a lot of features and capabilities, is very unstable, and has
security holes up the wazoo especially in the Perl version.
The PHP version uses unsupported calls in the language that
really raises the question of the future of YaBB !!

If I were you, I'd get a real forum .... if nothing else you'll
find it much easier to install and manage.

The top three in random order are phpBB2, InvisionBoard,
and vBulletin.

vBulletin has the most pre-installed features but is very
expensive. The other two are FREE and phpBB2 can easily
be modified to actually exceed the features and capabilities
of vBulletin so it makes it overall the better deal from a
cost perspective.

For ease of installation, both InvisionBoard and phpBB2 rule.
I can install and configure a new phpBB2 board from start to
finish in less than one minute if that tells you anything.

I'd definitely go with one of those and forget this YaBB idea ...

Of all forum applications, the two forums I would LEAST
recommend are YaBB and IkonBoard.

Incidentally ... as far as hosting goes, we have FREE accounts
at AMZ Web Hosting that meet your technical specifications
but as a matter of policy, we do not allow YaBB for the reasons
also listed above.

You should better look into YaBB, it's not as bad as you describe it. There are some problems, but they're not that big. The PHP version is very fast and uses very few queries, there was a security bug but it can be fixed very easilly. The Perl version is slow, but that is because it still uses flat files to store the data. A future version will be using a mysql db which will make it very fast.
True, some things have to be done but it's not as bad as you say. The future versions will be very good (I have access to alpha boards), beleive me.
Persionally I like it way better than phpbb, invisionboard or even vbulletin, YaBB may lack some features, but the way it looks and the admin center are way better I think. But that is an opinion, you can't discuss a opinion. :) And features can be easilly inserted with mods or just hacking away, allthough they should really do something about the mess in the mod section at their support forums. But that's something the complete Dutch community agrees with. :D

In my experience I've found phpBB has a more primitive user interface, especally when you get into the administration options and is just as (if not more) buggy then YaBB SE which is the php/MySQL port of YaBB. Also, YaBB perl may be slow, but it also has the advantage of not relying on a external database program which has caused alot of problems on some PHP based BBSs that I've posted on.

This is all IMHO.

Nick

If I were you, I'd get a real forum .... if nothing else you'll
find it much easier to install and manage.

The top three in random order are phpBB2, InvisionBoard,
and vBulletin.

Of all forum applications, the two forums I would LEAST
recommend are YaBB and IkonBoard.

IMHO, YaBB is the best free perl based forum available.

Sure it has it's problems, but it's free. What do you expect?

Do you know another free perl based forum that is better than YaBB?

:topic:

GeekWurkz already try to get this back on topic and I would like to see that too. Thanks in anticipation.

Back