• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Needing to install windows fresh!

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
Something (dont know what!), but something happened to my mother in laws laptop. At first, it wouldn't go past the "welcome screen" that shows it is loading when you start up Windows Vista Home Premium, and then it kept saying to insert the windows operating cd and restart. I did then, and when it was in the process, it stated some file (not sure which one), got deleted.

That some how caused ALL the drives to be erased completely!

Now it just says "BOOTMGR is missing" every time it goes past the Tashiba screen when you first power up.

I have tried sticking in the operating cd to install windows vista fresh, but it doesn't work.

ANY IDEAS OR SOLUTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED!

It was working just fine, so have no idea what could be wrong!

1 of 4 things to do..

1. Reset the RAM.
- Go ask the place you purchased the laptop from for how to do this.

2. Use a new HDD.
- Amazingly, a new Hard Drive could fix this.

3. Use a new disc of Windows.
- Ask your provider of the laptop to supply you with new reboot discs.

4. Take it to Toshiba and pay for a fix.
- Take it to Toshiba, and ask them to check it out and fix it. It might cost some money though...

Now it just says "BOOTMGR is missing" every time it goes past the Tashiba screen when you first power up.

At times when computers are shutoff improperly files can get mangled and at times critical files can be destroyed - leaving a computer that won't start.

I have tried sticking in the operating cd to install windows vista fresh, but it doesn't work.

Usually, this can be fixed if you insert the OS DVD (Vista) and press a key to "boot" it (if so, you should see some text on the screen indicating to do so), on some machines this option isn't always present so you may need to just go into the BIOS (usually you can press F1 or another function key to boot into it, it should tell you the key on the screen RIGHT when you start the machine) to set the optical (DVD/CD) drive to be the first thing that's attempted to be booted to when the machine is started.

If you do that you should be able to boot to the Vista DVD where you'll be able to run "System Recovery Options", once there select startup repair and let it run - this SHOULD fix what's jacked up in your startup process (BOOTMGR) but stuff doesn't always work as it should. If it doesn't fix it, you have other advanced options to try and fix the issue in the startup cycle but to keep things simple for now you can also reinstall the OS by doing the above steps but choosing to install when prompted to do so.

In the past I've saved hundreds of installations (and data) by NOT formatting the drives and installing Windows again, archiving the old Windows installation to a WINDOWS.old folder on the same drive. This way, you can preserve all of your files and even drivers from the old Windows install.. some programs will fail to work because of registry settings and extensions that aren't there any longer - but this quick and dirty method ain't meant to be the prettiest, it just works :).

Try some of this and post back, I'm sure we can get that machine runnin like new again. Oh and more than likely all of your mom in laws stuff SHOULD still be on the drive as well.

*Subscribed*

Last edited:
At times when computers are shutoff improperly files can get mangled and at times critical files can be destroyed - leaving a computer that won't start.

Usually, this can be fixed if you insert the OS DVD (Vista) and press a key to "boot" it (if so, you should see some text on the screen indicating to do so), on some machines this option isn't always present so you may need to just go into the BIOS (usually you can press F1 or another function key to boot into it, it should tell you the key on the screen RIGHT when you start the machine) to set the optical (DVD/CD) drive to be the first thing that's attempted to be booted to when the machine is started.

If you do that you should be able to boot to the Vista DVD where you'll be able to run "System Recovery Options", once there select startup repair and let it run - this SHOULD fix what's jacked up in your startup process (BOOTMGR) but stuff doesn't always work as it should. If it doesn't fix it, you have other advanced options to try and fix the issue in the startup cycle but to keep things simple for now you can also reinstall the OS by doing the above steps but choosing to install when prompted to do so.

In the past I've saved hundreds of installations (and data) by NOT formatting the drives and installing Windows again, archiving the old Windows installation to a WINDOWS.old folder on the same drive. This way, you can preserve all of your files and even drivers from the old Windows install.. some programs will fail to work because of registry settings and extensions that aren't there any longer - but this quick and dirty method ain't meant to be the prettiest, it just works :).

Try some of this and post back, I'm sure we can get that machine runnin like new again. Oh and more than likely all of your mom in laws stuff SHOULD still be on the drive as well.

*Subscribed*

I have tried booting from the OS Cd inserted, and all it keeps telling me after the Toshiba screen is that the bootmgr is missing.

Strange, hmmm. So if I gather this correctly then the machine turns on with the CD in the drive, then you see all the BIOS/POST information on the screen (or a big Toshiba image), then after that screen goes away you get the error, right? If so then it sounds like the machine isn't even seeing the bootable CD in the drive.

What type of CD is that? OEM CD that came with the Toshiba machine? Or is it a regular Windows CD? The reason I ask is that some of these CDs/DVDs are only restore CDs and may or may not function the same way, depending on the vendor.

Things to try from this point are:

1. Make sure the drive on the machine is able to read the media - I've had times late at night when I tried to install server 08 on a machine that didn't currently have a DVD drive... this will make it do nothing as it can't read the media.

2. Be sure to check in the BIOS to make sure that the drive is the first thing that boots. This is critical because if it's set to the hard drive then once the machine turns on it'll go straight to that error, not even checking the DVD/CD drive to see if it's contents are bootable. So def make sure of this one.

3. Beyond #1 & #2 is the CD/DVD drive bad?

4. I'm thinking there is probably a certain way (Toshiba way) to either get to the boot menu (try pressing F12 when the PC is turning on or press the down key if you see a cd icon on the screen right when it starts up). More info on that is in a post here that is likely similar to our case.

Oh and by the way, what's the model # of the machine? I can find out the exact process you need to do when turning it on to make it boot to the CD/DVD from it. As well as know the hardware. I should have asked this from the get go but I got so excited about the challenge that I forgot, lol.

-Mike

Last edited:
Strange, hmmm. So if I gather this correctly then the machine turns on with the CD in the drive, then you see all the BIOS/POST information on the screen (or a big Toshiba image), then after that screen goes away you get the error, right? If so then it sounds like the machine isn't even seeing the bootable CD in the drive.

What type of CD is that? OEM CD that came with the Toshiba machine? Or is it a regular Windows CD? The reason I ask is that some of these CDs/DVDs are only restore CDs and may or may not function the same way, depending on the vendor.

Things to try from this point are:

1. Make sure the drive on the machine is able to read the media - I've had times late at night when I tried to install server 08 on a machine that didn't currently have a DVD drive... this will make it do nothing as it can't read the media.

2. Be sure to check in the BIOS to make sure that the drive is the first thing that boots. This is critical because if it's set to the hard drive then once the machine turns on it'll go straight to that error, not even checking the DVD/CD drive to see if it's contents are bootable. So def make sure of this one.

3. Beyond #1 & #2 is the CD/DVD drive bad?

4. I'm thinking there is probably a certain way (Toshiba way) to either get to the boot menu (try pressing F12 when the PC is turning on or press the down key if you see a cd icon on the screen right when it starts up). More info on that is in a post here that is likely similar to our case.

Oh and by the way, what's the model # of the machine? I can find out the exact process you need to do when turning it on to make it boot to the CD/DVD from it. As well as know the hardware. I should have asked this from the get go but I got so excited about the challenge that I forgot, lol.

-Mike

I have tried all types of CD's, Different OS's, etc and keep getting the error for it all.

In the BIOS, it does show the CD/DVD drive, so I am assuming it detects it.

Ok,

Got the info we need, when you start up the laptop, immediately (especially when you see the initial screen) start pressing the F12 key. This should give you a boot media menu. Select DVD from this menu then press enter, the CD/DVD in the drive should start up.

That should be golden.

Wow, laptop from hell lol. That's crazy, I got this info directly from the source, Toshiba's User Manual.

You can also manually choose the Boot Priority by pressing the
power button to power on the computer, then quickly pressing
the F12 key.

The only other thing I see in there that may help would be

If you have an internal storage drive problem,
you will not be able to start the computer. Insert a system diskette
into the optional external diskette drive and press F12 when the
machine starts and use the arrow keys to select the boot-up device.
(You may need to press F12 several times.)

Dynamite.jpg

Well, I know it is not under warranty, so unfortunately, the only way to go is buy a new board, and get a friend to install it.

I have not read the rest of this thread, but I would just like to say that PC RAM is volatile memory and is reset every time the computer shuts down.

last time i provide helpful tips, negetive reputation #%@#^, didn't even leave a name or reason, you COWARD!

Follow those steps to repair BOOTMGR Problem

Boot off the Windows Vista DVD and then click Next at the first prompt: Fill information and NEXT
You should see a link in the lower left-hand side for “Repair your computer”:Click at this link
The installation process will attempt to find your Vista installation directory. If there’s more than one in the list, select the correct one and then use the Next button again. Then Click the first link for “Startup Repair”
When Finish repairing Process Then Reboot.

Back