• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

netfirms or surpass?

shaorin

I'm trying to decide which hosting plan to buy.

Netfirms Advantage Plan: 20gb of space + 750gb of bandwidth
If I use the promo code, I can get it for just $10 a year. It has enough space and bandwidth for all my sites + forum, and there are 2 free domains. I'm just worried about when the year is over, because I really don't feel like paying $120 a year for the actual plan when surpasshosting will be cheaper. Also, I'd prefer to have cpanel and such, but it's not a must. I'm also not sure about their uptime, support, service, etc.

Surpass Power Plan: 10gb of space + 400gb of bandwidth
They are also having a promo "buy 1 get 1 free" which will last as long as you keep the first account with them. No free domains, but I really don't need another one anyways (though it wouldn't hurt). I've heard good reviews about them, so I'm not too worried about that. They also offer cpanel and hosting up to 10 domains. Their prices are great too, just $65 a year. The only thing I might be concerned about is the space, since I'm currently using around 6gb on servage.

Just wanted to hear you guys' opinions and see what you'd do if you were in my shoe. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
if your site uses a fair amount of resources then you are looking in the wrong direction with these places. The pricing is PHENOMINAL but as soon as you use any amount of spu intensive app you will get ---- down. The pricing schemes you see with these companies does not support much more than simple html files on a reliable basis.

If you need reliability, decent resource usage, and a long term solution you are going to have to rethink your budget.

I guess I threw people off with the "eats up a lot of resources" statement. My site actually doesn't use that much space and bandwidth. I use about 150~300mb (sometimes more, but hardly more than 500) a day, and I know people who also have large forums and happily hosted on surpass.

I also talked to the support on both sites, so they know about my forum situation.

They both seem like oversellers.
The pricing is far too cheap for that amount of space and bandwidth.

It would probably be to your advantage to check out their Terms of Service before purchasing from either host.

I'm currently with Surpass which is why I joined this forum to find a new host, ha! They have horrible service, their support team doesn't do anything you ask - instead they beat around the bush. I have had four internal server errors in the past week, and my site has been down nearly an additional 6 times in the past two weeks.

Consider your needs and requirements carefully-- choose a host that offers you most of what you need.

However, considering your budget is also important.

Check out different forums and other review sites to see what people say about them.

Good Luck!
Lea.

Yep, both the host are overselling.
shaorin, how much space and bandwidth do you expect to use? What is your monthly budget?
If you require 20GB/750GB or 10GB/400GB then vps or semi-dedicated is the only option for you.

Netfirms and surpass have been around for years, that should be taken into consideration before you new dudes knock them. Will you all be still around in a few years?

Jan said:
Netfirms and surpass have been around for years, that should be taken into consideration before you new dudes knock them. Will you all be still around in a few years?

Going on my 3rd yr anniversary here. Currently 2 different hosting companies and close to 600 total accounts between them. /shrug Not as many as the big guys but yeah I plan to be around =)

Surpass I was a customer for years. About 2 years in total.

I would not recommend them - simply, unreliable. I had them hosting some of my unimportant sites. If you are looking for optimum speeds and maximum uptime you don't want this. Their network is just not among the best.

Back