• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

newbie help

Firewater

Hi

Ok i'm new to the forums, and i'm a noob with websites too. I really need some help/advice about the best way to go about creating websites. I'm not sure what function the website will serve, I just want to create one which I can improve as I get better with HTML and programming languages. I thought maybes some kind of forum....would this be too hard for a beginner?

I've been reading an HTML book and I'm getting the basics pretty fast. I learned the programming language True Basic at school, so I already understand how programs are laid out...eg sub routines and loops etc etc. I just need to learn some relevent languages which I can use for my website. I 've touched a little on asp.net also, however i don't have the necesary software at home to create such applications...i would need a host for that.

Anyhow, I think I may need some free webspace that I can use to try things out. I would build on the webspace, a proper website once I gain the skills required. Anyhone got any tips/advice.

ok.
html, learn this, it is the base for everything.
after you have done that learn css, it beefs up your html, lets you do new things and creates better code.
when your confident, learn php and mysql, this lets you create dynamic web pages, like forums.

Here's a few languages that generally run on the web. You need to check with your host if it will run on their server.

PHP
Perl/CGI
Ruby on Rails
Python
MySQL

Here are some client-side languages

HTML
CSS
XML
Java
Javascript

I know there's more, so other people, chip in! ;)

Firewater said:
At the moment I am learning XHTML, but I understand there is a normal HTML. Is XHTML the better language to learn?
I'd say HTML is a better then XHTML to learn,:)
You use HTML much more then XHTML, but when you finished with HTML you could learn XHTML:)

Last edited:
Ok i am doing something wrong, something simple probably, but I can't figure out what it is.

I am trying to set up a text document to store my html code that is to be displayed in webpages. I set up the notepad document, type in some code and open it with the internet browser(bt yahoo) that I have. Instead of just the actual words and phrases I want displayed, I get all the html jargon with it. Anyone know what to do?

I followed the www.w3schools.com for help but the same thing happened. I can use internet explorer itself, but when i opened the notepad document in the browser, the actual document itself came up instead of it being displayed in a web browser.

I have windows xp if that helps.

thanks

This is really frustrating. It's like the very first thing you do when creating a webpage. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

w3schools is definately the way to go so you can learn to make valid sites that work great in any browser. leanr ston HTML and CSS, once you are a pro, learn php and mysql and javascript. i would recommend php and mysql before javascript just becuase i feel they are more powerfual an da better way to code.

Back