• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

No ads, no posts free hosting doesn't make sense?

niyogi

It's bizarre that there are players in the "free hosting industry" that are offering services with "no ads and no posts" and consider it a viable strategy. I suppose many are tickled by the idea of having "busy servers" but I am also curious as to what kind of "free-to-paid" conversion rates some free hosting companies have that are offering it without any ads at all.

I can fully understand ad-supported free hosting as a viable business model (as can many).

Roj

Hi, It also depends on the motivation of the person and what the hosting project will bring as knowledge is for me more important than the money.

Here in The Netherlands a lot of free webhostings are starting because it is getting quite popular here. Also for smaller companies that just put their own link to it on the main page, nothing else.

Study points, hosting competition, learning project, extra service etc etc. all part of the growing FREE webhosts here in The Netherlands.

I am running a free hosting now for almost 1 year and still no ads, no postings etc. and for FREE. (And all for fun !)

I am still planning to at least host for a few more years. (And already helping many other to start their own project too)

Kind regards,
PaulP.
www.swprozee1.com

PaulP said:
Hi, It also depends on the motivation of the person and what the hosting project will bring as knowledge is for me more important than the money.

Here in The Netherlands a lot of free webhostings are starting because it is getting quite popular here. Also for smaller companies that just put their own link to it on the main page, nothing else.

Study points, hosting competition, learning project, extra service etc etc. all part of the growing FREE webhosts here in The Netherlands.

I am running a free hosting now for almost 1 year and still no ads, no postings etc. and for FREE. (And all for fun !)

I am still planning to at least host for a few more years. (And already helping many other to start their own project too)

Kind regards,
PaulP.
www.swprozee1.com

So, how do you pay the bills?

Like, some of them offer paid hosting as well, so that helps pay the costs. But there are those who get a reseller, which is probably overselling to the max and offer free hosting only, with no ads or forum posts. Makes no sense to me at all how they manage to do that.

some of them does not last longer than a month in thesedays.
and there are some ppls gives too much to sell.

the best bet is to choose freehosting last longer than at least 6months.

It does make sense.

They might have another job or sell paid hosting, which they get the funds from.

However, your best bet is not to go for this kind of hosting.

danethicalhost said:
So, how do you pay the bills?

Like, some of them offer paid hosting as well, so that helps pay the costs. But there are those who get a reseller, which is probably overselling to the max and offer free hosting only, with no ads or forum posts. Makes no sense to me at all how they manage to do that.

Hi,

I do have a good fulltime job and as long as I have that job I will host for free, now if it turns out that I will loose my job then I can always ask a little bit of money to maintain the hosting.
The servers are already in place and don't cost that much here in the Netherlands, I always wanted to have them anyway and since I am working with servers for a long time already, It was the next challenge for me to learn from.

So paying the bills is not a problem. (It does not cost a lot)

My simple list is...
1) I learn a lot from it. (Hardware, software, security, redundancy, get to know people around the world, Internet and scripting)
2) It does help me understand this part of the many things you can do with servers. My fulltime job benefits from it too.
3) I get happy users (And as it seems unhappy paid hostings, so I must be doing a good job)
4) I can motivate others to start hosting since they can get my help.

So as you see, the money is not a problem, and a lot of people here are in the exact same position.

Then it depends on the hosting administrator if the hosting turns out to be a good one or not.
It just started as a fun project for users that could not afford paid hosting like students and web beginners but it became a serious hosting project.
Also I have a strict policy about WHAT I host. I do not accept people that want to have webspace to earn money with it, nobody should make money over my free services, so those people I refer to the paid hosting companies. :classic2:

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,
PaulP.
www.swprozee1.com

niyogi said:
It's bizarre that there are players in the "free hosting industry" that are offering services with "no ads and no posts" and consider it a viable strategy. I suppose many are tickled by the idea of having "busy servers" but I am also curious as to what kind of "free-to-paid" conversion rates some free hosting companies have that are offering it without any ads at all.

I can fully understand ad-supported free hosting as a viable business model (as can many).

Roj

Ads - good old ads, it's a vital factor in a free host's life.

Since when is posting = money? Post for hosting is a pile of cow-dung. Every time I see a free host with "Music" and "Sport" forums where users are forced to post about Britney Spears, I laugh.

My strategy is to be selective on clients and tough on the abuse/dodgy. Everybody has their own input and each host have their way but all in all, I believe that good clients contribute to long-life, good, free hosting.

People that do free unlimited space/bw hosting sites get bare traffic and clients due to the demand (look at phpbb).
Then they close down and sell the domain for big money and force ads.
The impression ads Host Ultra do give them bare money.

See, the problem with the fact that they would be gone in a few months is that new ones sprout up and the ecosystem lives on this way. (Real "free hosting" companies have to battle out the runt hosting companies, no?)

Roj

I am a member of staff at FriHost which has just celebrated its 1st birthday. We only offer *free hosting, so there is no chance of an upgrade. You recieve the following:

• 250 Mb of space for your entire collection of websites.
  • 250 Mb of space for your entire collection of websites.
  • 10 GB of traffic each and every month.
  • 1 free subdomain to be reachable in the whole world.
  • Php and Perl scripting languages to fulfill all your programming needs.
  • The DirectAdmin control panel to manage your web hosting account.
  • No forced advertisements. Your own ads like google adsense are allowed.
  • Unlimited MySQL databases for all your data.
  • Unlimited subdomains and ftp accounts for all your websites.
  • Unlimited email accounts and forwarders for your correspondence.
  • Unlimited parked and addon domains for your whole portfolio of websites

All of this is paid for from ads on the community forum.

*free hosting = You need at least 5 quality posts before requesting a completely free web hosting account. Being active on our forums afterwards is also required. To be classed as active you need to have above 0 point$. At the end of the day all point$ are reset to 45. Each day 1 point is taken off for hosting.

Hi mezmorizing,

How does your post help answer the original posters question ?

Instead of advertising here what you deliver, please inform him more to answer his question.

Kind regards,
PaulP.

Last edited:
@kwekminghong:

I know, that why I asked "please inform him more to answer his question."

Out of the 17 lines he wrote 16 that are advertisement for himself.

Obviously he wants to gain more for himself then to answer the posters question.
That was the only point I was trying to make here ! :classic2:

Kind regards,
PaulP.

I never found the paid-by-posting hosting concept a viable idea. At least not profitable enough for somebody to consider a serious hosting business. Those who run their hosting company for kicks and a few bucks - I'm not sure that, as a customer, I'd feel comfortable hosting my website, blog, forum, portal, etc with them just to find out that one day, their provider is closing shop because it's either [a] not profitable they have other things that are more important now or [c] they can't handle the server administration that comes with the problems that may emerge from having a billion hosting accounts on a server

This is an important issue because - with so many new free hosting companies out there operated by people on:

* reseller accounts
* underpowered VPSes
* servers that eventually aren't "affordable"

Many free hosting companies sprout - few remain.

Roj

I run WebringAmerica which is a free forum host that does not put ads on forums or require forum posting.

I basically offer free forum hosting without ads through WebringAmerica because I used to be in the situation that many of my clients were in before they found WebringAmerica.

For the longest time all I wanted was a free forum without ads. Once I finally bit the bullet and paid for forum hosting I realized I had a bunch of extra hard drive space left on my hosting account. I figured, hey, why not offer free forum hosting with this extra space. Basically I am giving people what I never could find, free forum hosting without ads.

Also, it doesn't put a financial strain on me at all. I only pay $7.00 a month for hosting and I get 10GB Bandwidth (at least) and 2500 MB space. I have more than enough space to run my free host for a looooonnnng time without having to upgrade.

I'm not in it for the money. I am hardly ever in anything for the money.
BMR777

My two-pennies worth...

I run a free hosting enterprise, paid for by my own money, on a dedicated server, hosting is free, there arent any adds (as yet) and forum posting is required for upgrades.
Someone said earlier in the thread that they wouldn't want a "company" like this hosting their companys' website, well I put it to you, that you'd be right, and not because I'm unreliable, or I might dissapear but because you HAVE to spend money to make money, no two ways about it, so of course you don't have your livelyhood hosted by a free hostiing company, but that's not what this is for, not in the slightest.
Some of the most skilled webmasters I host are too young to pay for hosting, far too young, one guy is only 14 and can bash out fully blown php applications in a matter of days, another is under 16 and has actually been interviewed by the BBC for his work in the field of E-security, it would, in my eyes at least, be a shame if these ppl could not get online and practice what they love, and more so what they are good at.
As for how long I'll be around, well, I used to be a IT support engineer, and now I have a child to look ater, so at least the next 15 odd years, I'll have the time and money to do it......plus, it keeps me active.

You need to look at it for what it is, free webhosting is for people who cannot afford to pay for it, or are too young, not for companies who don't want to pay for it to give them a larger profit margin.

Hi! 50webs is there

Hi I have hosted my 3 websites in 50webs.com for free and they just provide me execellent service.

In additionto this they also offer unlmited banwidth.

The only catch is that you don not have online html editor there

Back