• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

On using XEN vps?

ozaidum

Hi guys,

I do need to get-off with the typical shared hosting for some reasons but my budget is for a VPS only. Also, getting a dedicated server is too much for my requirements, I think.

So, I have a few questions to ask you guys. I hope you can share your thoughts here.

1. Can a XEN vps with 4gb ram and 8 cpu cores handle multiple websites (at least 100 maybe) with the following specs:
* uses 2-15gb bandwidth
* contents are mainly static html, blogs and shopping carts
* cPanel enabled
* PHP and MySQL for applications only

2. On average, users for each website is only < 50 a day. How much server load do you think will the VPS have (on daily usage, not performing backups or anything), on average also?

3. What's the advantage of using XEN vs. Hybrid and vice versa? Is OpenVZ better for these requirements?

Thank you!

And what company are you going to choose?
Contact them directly, tell your needs and see what they will offer for you and how skillful they will explain it for you.

for 4GB RAM and 8 cores processor, it is better if go go direct for a dedicated server.

and since the websites uses only 2-15gb bandwidth, then i think a 1GB RAM VPS should be enough, u dun really need high power until 4GB RAM and 8 cores of processor.

plus, the price for XEN, with your requirement, it will be almost the same as a dedicated server, so it would be best if you go direct for a dedicated server.

You do not receive lots of traffic, so if properly optimized you will do with even less resources, 512MB or 1Gb of RAM. RAM upgrade isn't an issue for vds.
It's really difficult to evaluate the server load just looking at the traffic figure, it's possible for the static content only.
If scripts are used, they could be using from 1% to 80% of cpu.

I would go with a 512MB VPS for the requirements.
According to your visitor base, it's more than enough.

Hi guys,
1. Can a XEN vps with 4gb ram and 8 cpu cores handle multiple websites (at least 100 maybe) with the following specs:
* uses 2-15gb bandwidth
* contents are mainly static html, blogs and shopping carts
* cPanel enabled
* PHP and MySQL for applications only

Thank you!

That's overkill. For one hundred sites with around 50 users a day you can probably get away with 2GB RAM and two CPU cores. You may even be able to get away with 1GB RAM and one CPU core if it is mostly all static content.

I would honestly just go with a 1GB Xen VPS with one core, and see where that goes. Make sure you get at least 1Ghz dedicated though. If your load is higher then expected you can always upgrade and if it is lower then expected you won't have to pay through the roof for the larger VPS.

Back