• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ontario citizens

jason

Hey there. I'm just looking for a little ISP advice from my fellow ontarioians. I'm moving to ottawa soon and have found out that the sympatico 3meg service is not available where i will be living. Soo, all i can get is their basic, which has a 2 gig limit which is useless to me with the amount of downloading/uploading i do. I was thinking of going with rogers but they have a 60 gig limit, which isn't bad but im not sure if i'd go over it or not with my upload and download combined. does anyone know of any good unlimited dsl ISP's in ottawa? i was looking at storm.ca, they seem pretty decent but i don't actually know anything about them, any help would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
I used to live in Ottawa. Some of my family is still there and they're on rogers. I found that rogers hi-speed was really realy fast there (compared to downtown Toronto where I used to live). If you walk into a futureshop, you can sign up for a three month free trial for rogers hi-speed/extreme with no contract or committments. Just cancel after three months if you aren't satisfied. Never call rogers sales directly as they will never give you a discount beyond the standard ones listed on their website.

I live in Richmond Hill, but I have some cousins in ottawa. Anyway, stay away from sympatico if you can, they suck a LOT. Go with Rogers, unless you can find another provider. Rogers is pretty good, I haven't found any problems besides a couple downtimes, in which is usually resolved quickly.

Regards,

What I don't get about Sympatico is how they set up their hostnames.

Users in some areas of Toronto get *.qc.symptatico.ca, while some users in Quebec get *.to.sypatico.ca

It's so bass ackwards.

sometimes its just crappy input from their end.. one of my friends had ADSL with a telco named Optus, and he lives in Melbourne, a good 400-500km away from the state line between Victoria (our state) and New South Wales.

his hostname was *.nsw.optusnet.com.au for a good 6 months since he subscribed to the service, but it recently changed to *.vic.optusnet.com.au -- not sure if its the same thing, but it really doesn't affect the service anyway AFAIK.

Rogers was quiet nice in my area when I lived in the GTA (Great Toronto Area). Probably because we lived in a newly devloped area but the speeds were amazing with little downtime.

Wish I could say the same for Shaw in BC...

I'm in BC, and have been with Shaw for 6+ years.

I experienced serioustime online _once_, and that was when the cable fell off the pole outside.

The speeds have also been exceptional for the most part, and everyone I know who is with Shaw would agree.

rogers sounds good but i worry about the limit, i like to be able to download what i want without worry. i might just try and find a local unlimited dsl provider. sympatico is useless in my area as i can only get their basic package there which is limited to a 2 gig per month download. with dsl im stuck at 256k download but if i can download as much as i want, it would make up for it i guess.

jmiller said:
What I don't get about Sympatico is how they set up their hostnames.

Users in some areas of Toronto get *.qc.symptatico.ca, while some users in Quebec get *.to.sypatico.ca

It's so bass ackwards.

It's because they name them once, then move them around, and never name them again. I'm on fromage@toronto-HSE-ppp4296780.sympatico.ca right now.

Jason, check if Cogeco is available to you.

i ended up going with rogers. so far so good tho i have no idea how much im using. hope i don't go over.

Back