• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Please help me beta test my website

davdemm

Hey everyone,

Have you ever been on your laptop, using AIM when you decided it was time to pack up the show? Don't you wish there was a way to stay online and receive instant messages even though your laptop (or desktop computer) is turned off?

Are you going on vacation and don't want your PC running while you're away but still would like to receive instant messages?

Don't want to pay for the cost of receiving message on your cell phone?

My site tries to address this problem. You submit your AOL AIM screen name, password and email, and a session will be created for you. Your name will appear online to all of your friends and they can type a few messages. With a custom command (explained in your auto-generated away message), they can have their IMs emailed to your inbox. Just make sure the screen name you want to receive emails from is not currently signed on.

Please help me beta test this product!
Any feedback would be much appreciate.

http://www.aim2email.com

What exactly is the point of this, IM means insant message, if you aren't going to reply to people IMing you, you would just email tem, or they email you, if you are away, there won't be any important messages waiting on email, probably just hello or are you there. Very pointless.

A) It hides your email address from other AIM users.

B) Not everyone on your buddy list may know your email.

C) People are lazy (myself included) and since they have AIM open anyway, they can send you an email this way without having to open another client.

AIM is often used by people for just small talk. And some people would like to get little chit-chat in their inbox.

I know it is not for everyone, it really depends on your personal habbits, but I have found it useful for myself and some of my friends. I decided to see if there was anyone else interested in it. It didn't cost me much to produce, it's completely free, so I'm just throwing it out there and I'd like to get it running stable.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am thinking the same with utcrazy here, but I am also coming from a point of view of the internet has too much ---- going on, people are always on myspace which is pointless etc etc, anyways back to your site.
It is a neat idea, but if you can't go on vacation without having to talk to someone, then why bother go on vacation - just live on your computer. If lets say my buddy is on vacation and his house next door burns down Im not really going to Instant Message him to get the message across cause well its more important and probably deserves a phone call.

And are people REALLY going to give out there password to aim, cause another problem is lets say next week they change there password and forget to go to your website and also change it... then it doesnt work?

I dont mean this to be a negative comment, because well I will admit I give you tons of credit for coming up with this idea and I do wish you success with it.

Last edited:
As far as going on vacation goes, if you leave your AIM client running and you get some messages, then the only way to retrieve those messages is by going home and looking at your screen. This way, if you're at a computer on vacation, that you can view your email at, you can also view your IMs.

Also, I never store your password. You have to visit the site each time you want to sign in / sign off. As far as security goes, AIM protocol takes your password in clear-text anyway. They do a little bit of "roasting" before the clear-text is transmitted, but it's pretty negligible as far as encryption goes.

And like I said, it's not a business endeavor, simply a pet project I threw out there for people who may find it useful.

Thanks for the feedback.

Great idea, but I would be very leary of typing my password anywhere else than in my AIM.

I didn't read any of the replies and I am making a totally uneducated response: When I used AIM I got some IM's that I missed when I was offline. They just popped up when I logged in.

I think it is a very interesting idea. For someone like me, I leave AIM on 24/7 for the simple fact that people do leave me msgs "to my away message" and the only way me to read those are check my main computer. Very neat idea..

davdemm said:
A) It hides your email address from other AIM users.

B) Not everyone on your buddy list may know your email.

Doesn't your AIM user name match your AOL email?
i.e.
AIM username = user1
email = user1@aol.com

Polykranopalous said:
I am thinking the same with utcrazy here, but I am also coming from a point of view of the internet has too much ---- going on, people are always on myspace which is pointless etc etc, anyways back to your site.
It is a neat idea, but if you can't go on vacation without having to talk to someone, then why bother go on vacation - just live on your computer. If lets say my buddy is on vacation and his house next door burns down Im not really going to Instant Message him to get the message across cause well its more important and probably deserves a phone call.

And are people REALLY going to give out there password to aim, cause another problem is lets say next week they change there password and forget to go to your website and also change it... then it doesnt work?

I dont mean this to be a negative comment, because well I will admit I give you tons of credit for coming up with this idea and I do wish you success with it.

I'd have to agree with him agreeing with me, the internet has way too much pointless ----.

Doesn't your AIM user name match your AOL email?
i.e.
AIM username = user1
email = user1@aol.com

I do not have an AOL email account, I just use the AIM feature.

If you don't think it's useful to you, then by all means, don't use it. Like I keep saying, I'm not trying to sell a product here, it's just a useful thing that some people out there might enjoy using.

Be nice :)

davdemm said:
You do have one. Whether you choose to use it or not is another matter.

For every AIM account you have they've taken the liberty of creating an email account for you.

Bruce said:
You do have one. Whether you choose to use it or not is another matter.

For every AIM account you have they've taken the liberty of creating an email account for you.
Well, technically, you still need to register to start using your AOL email account. I've had an AIM screenname for years and I just visited their website and it's asking me a bunch of personal info before letting me in.

davdemm said:

If you don't think it's useful to you, then by all means, don't use it. Like I keep saying, I'm not trying to sell a product here, it's just a useful thing that some people out there might enjoy using.

Be nice :)

I didn't think I was being either nice or not.
Just not so much-in-the-know as to how AIM works, it's probably been four or five years since I used it.
As I undserstood it, with your AIM screenname you get an email address i.e. screenname@aol.com and that when you log in you get a message telling you you have new mail- so even if your primary email was not your AOL mail, someone sending email to your screenname@aol.com would get the message through.
If this was the case I thought it would be helpful to query it- as it is not apologies for offending you!

The only reason I wouldn't use the service is that it is a third-party site asking for my password. To me it's all just a bit 'phishy'...

Back