• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Premium Bandwith Vs non-premium(Cogent) bandwidth

pangolin123

Ok..whats the difference ? My host offers me 2 plans, One with 200 GB premium bandwith and the other with 400 GB non premium ( cogent ) bandwith.

I have several sites that receives few thousands per day and bandwith is a major concern for me. What option shall i choose ?

If you were gaming or hosting VOIP you might notice a difference, but I doubt you would be able to tell the difference with website hosting. Cogent used to be reguarded as very low end bandwidth, but over the last couple of years they have improved alot and actually seem to be a very decent network now.

Cogent used to be really bad, but they seem to have gotten better. A lot of gamers don't like Cogent (one of my clients lived in Va. and had a 120ms ping to a Washington Cogent server. Traceroute revealed the packet had to go all the way to San Francisco and back...)

Anyhow, all of Imageshack is on Cogent bandwidth, so it can't be too bad...

Anyhow, all of Imageshack is on Cogent bandwidth, so it can't be too bad...
You think, they have only one b/w provider? They must be having multiple.

Have you checked RapidShare? They got over 10 different providers.

Anyway, what I think premium and non-premium is just simply, dedicated and shared lines respectively.

I've just downloaded two test files.

Cogent - Cheap
Marina Del Rey, CA, US to Frankfurt, DE
500KB/s
Hurricane Electric - Premium
San Jose, CA to Frankfurt, DE
9MB/s

In the corner of every imageshack page is the server the page is being served from. It'll say imgXXX - 38.99.xx.xx. (XXX = numbers) and I've never seen anything besides 38.99.*.*, and the netblock 38.99.0.0 - 38.99.255.255 is owned by PSI (now Cogent)

Back