• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PuTTy [Need Help]

Blebekblebek

hello,

I'm beginner w/ putty client
and only using putty for fetching file from another website

I want to know/ask few things

1. How to get file w/ ( ) + ' ! , & character? because when I try to fetch it (with wget) it always shown syntax error

2. How to get a folder? I mean example i want to get all files in www.othersite.com/folder1, there's lots of image and it's impossible (it's possible but takes a day to get all files)

3. Did a Wget command consume BW to get files?

I've search on google and this site found no results... (actually too many results that makes me really confuses)

that's all I need to know

Thank you

Last edited:
Here's what I would do.

1) Use Putty to copy your file to an area accessible by a user account.
2) Use an FTP client to download your files to your computer.

I understand that, but re-downloading and re-uploading is a solution that I don't even need to ask.

and again the files is quite big, my internet is only 128kbps line.
it maybe took a week to start all over

i just need to know how to "what I'm asking w/ putty"
if there's no answer is there a alternative method to do it?

Thank you

Blebekblebek said:
hello,

I'm beginner w/ putty client
and only using putty for fetching file from another website

I want to know/ask few things

1. How to get file w/ ( ) + ' ! , & character? because when I try to fetch it (with wget) it always shown syntax error

2. How to get a folder? I mean example i want to get all files in www.othersite.com/folder1, there's lots of image and it's impossible (it's possible but takes a day to get all files)

3. Did a Wget command consume BW to get files?

I've search on google and this site found no results... (actually too many results that makes me really confuses)

that's all I need to know

Thank you

1.) wget works great unless you have a file that you are downloading via a link redirect. (Such as downloading from a site that has a download counter etc) --> In that case use links/lynx and then "g" and paste your URL. Download it that way.

2) If you want to get all files in a directory you should ssh into that machine and: tar -cvf folder1.tar folder1 then gzip folder1.tar and download your folder1.tar.gz file.

3) Wget uses bandwidth. Some hosts who depend on control panels to monitor all of their bandwidth will never see console bandwidth usage, they will only see it based on ftp in/out via proftpd ftpd etc. Or Apache/etc

So it depends on the host. wget in most cases uses http requests or ftp requests so if the server is dedicated then yes the bandwidth is being counted. Same if it is a VPS but on most reseller/shared accounts...this bandwidth will be overlooked.

change dir to where you want the files to be

cd /home/whatever

wger -r www.sendspace.com/whatever

that'll do it, if it's in the wrong place, because wget has decended into the root instead of the link you gave it for some reason, then you can move entire dirs by issuing

mv dir/* /newdir

the start descends into the dir and moves subfolders, also to copy the content

cp dir/* /newdir

gd luck

incase you need to

rm -rf /dir

will recursively delete the folder and all content....

EDIT : Answer to 2

Last edited:
all command are not working...

untitled14ea.png

is it wrong?

Install VNCserver then connect via its client and then install mozilla and then download wit remote desktop .

I dont think megaupload allow hotlinking do they ??

Also that -r switch is for downloading whole folders recursivley not files at once, single files don't need a switch.

yes Megaupload, sendspace, yousendit is allowed to hotlink (but the session is limited)

the only problem is only the file name if there's ( ) + ' ! , & character then it would be syntax error

well this is not vps, just a shared host, I just want to redirect it to my site then download from my host, downloading from there sometimes failed & really slow

my last suggestion would be to wrap the url in double or single quotes...
sorry..didnt realise I posted twice...

Back