• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reverse discrimination at work

syd

NLC
NLC
It's getting pretty pathetic! You only get hired if you are Chinese or any other Asian descent. A man with 5 years cooking experience applied, but my boss hired a housewife who's never worked before and can't speak english, because she's Chinese and he was white!

They even write a big huge "chinese" on any resumes if they are chinese. If you're white, it gets dumped in the garbage.

....... and they wonder why the food's been crappy lately? Hmm, maybe it's time to hire a real COOK.

Originally posted by syd
It's getting pretty pathetic! You only get hired if you are Chinese or any other Asian descent. A man with 5 years cooking experience applied, but my boss hired a housewife who's never worked before and can't speak english, because she's Chinese and he was white!

They even write a big huge "chinese" on any resumes if they are chinese. If you're white, it gets dumped in the garbage.

....... and they wonder why the food's been crappy lately? Hmm, maybe it's time to hire a real COOK.

Are you talking about a Chinese or a Western restaurant? If you are talking about Chinese restaurants, then you really can't complain, but for the case of Western restaurants, I would agree with you.

Why is it different conker? :confused:

We have similar problems here in Australia. In employing people, age, race, creed etc cannot be an issue BUT the aboriginal businesses are allowed to ask for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to apply.

Aboriginals have businesses?? :confused: :p I've never seen one before, but thats probably Melbourne hasn't got a very large aboriginal population.

Probably a few wanna be ones with red hair and freckles :p ( michael Mansell?) They are a big up here, but the first job I applied for where A/TSI were preferrred, was in Tasmania. If they had said in my rejection letter that I wasn't suitable because I was "white" I would have sued the butt off them and/or hopefully changed the rules where all other ethnic groups can't discriminate but they can :mad:

Re: Re: Reverse discrimination at work

Originally posted by conkermaniac

Are you talking about a Chinese or a Western restaurant? If you are talking about Chinese restaurants, then you really can't complain, but for the case of Western restaurants, I would agree with you.

It's a Chinese restaurant. But if you're some Chinese housewife who can't speak a word of English, then you shouldn't be hired as a server!!!

I've been training this woman for months (yes, the Hunan housewife) and she's dumb as hell! She screams "rice, RICE?" to the customers when they say, "NOODLE? NOODLE?"

I can't even serve MY customers, because I have to hover over her and make sure she's doing her work correctly (then correct it because it's wrong)

If I'm a supervisor I should be paid more :mad:

Originally posted by MN-Carl
I take it you didn't get that job in a shoe store :confused:

No I didn't accept it, the hours were too low, only 20. I get 40 now at the restaurant.

Originally posted by syd

No I didn't accept it, the hours were too low, only 20. I get 40 now at the restaurant.

Oh right :)

Well when you think about it, a restaurant is going to be abit more populated than a shoe store most of the time ( except weekends maybe ) :)

The truth is chinese people only like to have other chinese people, its kind of an ethnic thing especially in the united states. I got a job at a restaurant when I was 14. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Alot of the time, the employer and employee are good friends.

Originally posted by Archbob
The truth is chinese people only like to have other chinese people, its kind of an ethnic thing especially in the united states. I got a job at a restaurant when I was 14. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Alot of the time, the employer and employee are good friends.

It's an ethnic thing...in the United States.

As I was telling Miller through a PM, Chinese people over here think that white people are Gods or something. They have ZERO pride in their race and will refuse service to Chinese people to tend to Western customers.

I always assumed that owners of restaurants like to have chinese workers in their chinese restaurants and indian in the indian restaurant or whatever A because often(sometimes? once or twice?) families own/staff the restaurant themselves and/or for reasons of authenticity, the chinese restaurant might feel that much more chinese if it's staffed by chinese people.

That logic is true. A friend of mine is an assistant manager at a almost all white business, he tries to hire people of different races ,backgrounds and ages. His General Manager recently told him to stop, and hire more young, white people who never worked before. It shouldn't be like that in this day and age. The GM also treats him like shite. I told him to quit, but he's waiting until he can put it on his resume. :confused2

I just want to say that there is no such thing as reverse discrimination.

What people call reverse discrimination is actually just plain old discrimination.

Re: Re: Re: Reverse discrimination at work

Originally posted by syd

It's a Chinese restaurant. But if you're some Chinese housewife who can't speak a word of English, then you shouldn't be hired as a server!!!
Why not? Many (or almost all) people working in Chinese Restaurants here can't speak english.

You guys are lucky to just deal with one type of race. I have to deal with all types of races where I work. I work at a theme park and it can get ugly quickly there.

Originally posted by conkermaniac

It's an ethnic thing...in the United States.

As I was telling Miller through a PM, Chinese people over here think that white people are Gods or something. They have ZERO pride in their race and will refuse service to Chinese people to tend to Western customers.

Thats cause westerners have more money and are more likely to be ripped off.

Back