• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Server monitoring

abiko

Hello everybody :)

Are you using service and port monitoring for your servers, and can you give an service provider?

Are they only monitoring your port, offering multiple port monitring, ping the host?
Also, do they offer service monitoring - as disk usage, current CPU load, free memory on the system, number of logged in users...

If not, what are the features you would like to see?
And which is the best pricing, from your opinion, for this kind of service ?

CSF do such a good work for monitoring users, running processes and etc... And i use Munin for monitor cpu usage and RAM usage. But it has more features than that ;) Both of them are provided free!

If you want to monitor your server ports and all that from outside, then there are many of providers letting you so. I signed up for a one provider today. They offer a free account for monitor 1 server. But it's sufficient for me since i use 1 server :D

You can find them googling. I can't mention the name of the website or company. I'll dig into my memory and let you know if i can find that.

We use CSF for internal monitoring, firewall, process usage, etc.

Externally, to check uptime for ports & services we utilize Pingdom.

As I have suspected, let me just point out the CSF overload possiblity - as you know it sends you emails when the load on the server is too high, user processes go wild - at one point it may start sending out a lot of emails that CSF itself starts overloading the server.
When you manage the load and see the mail queue - 4000+ emails from CSF itself.

For this sole reason, all notifications regarding running processes are disabled, only firewall notifications are enabled and there is an external server monitoring our servers - costs are very small per month, but offering 1 minute checks on all ports, services and monitors the server status. Brilliant :)

You can also consider NRPE / Nagios based monitoring, We have setup two external servers which are monitoring our core systems using NRPE and reporting not only uptime and ports check ups but also real time load alerts on each system.

If you need help with it, We can give you some more information, anytime :)

Roberto,
WizzSolutions.com

I think you need to know first of all what eaxtly you need and what do you want to monitor. And based on this start your own research.

Hello everybody :)

Are you using service and port monitoring for your servers, and can you give an service provider?

Are they only monitoring your port, offering multiple port monitring, ping the host?
Also, do they offer service monitoring - as disk usage, current CPU load, free memory on the system, number of logged in users...

I think you can manage your server in WHM very well,and if you want to monitoring it instantly,I recommend Nagios.Not only monitor the status of the server but also prevent it from attacking,so you need SSH.

I like using Cacti for monitoring, since with the right configuration it can monitor quite a few aspects of a server's performance.

Typically requires a fair amount of resources though, but once one is set up on a machine you can monitor entire racks worth of equipment with it.

I suppose you need to understand which parts and process are needed to be monitored and then search for the monitoring solution according to that

I use CSF on the server then use OpManager to remotely monitor all the servers. Nice thing about Opmanager is you can monitor up to 10 devices for free.. anything above that you have to purchase the program.

Back