• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Set up server

xguy001

Does anybody knows how to set up one's own server using his own computer?
Please give me specific instructions...thanks!

First thing you need to do is check that your ISP will allow you to run a website on your connection, because many don't.

1. You MAY use it (without your ISP's approval) if you're just planning to test server-side scripts, such as PHP. You may also use it if you're before a firewall, meaning that you won't be able to "show" your website.
2. You MAY NOT use it for internet connection (to make it public) as long as you do not have the approval. At least, that's here :D

Palease......tell me how the heck your isp would know the difference between someone running kazaa and someone running a website. None, except the one running a site would use far less bandwidth/traffic.

I'm sure he will open some ports, besides 80.
Anyway, noone said YOU MUST. But it would be nice. :)
We're mostly besides routers and firewalls, but actually YOU HAVE TO ask your ISP. I know, Romania really does sucking. But it's my country :biggrin2:

Originally posted by Webdude
Palease......tell me how the heck your isp would know the difference between someone running kazaa and someone running a website. None, except the one running a site would use far less bandwidth/traffic.

Hmm, lets see, I would figure a huge company like an ISP would have some sort of program that scans for open ports, if it finds say port 80 wide open, it would then check to see if there is a website at port 80. Thats why you set the web server to use a port such as the one used by kazaa.

i have successfuly installed apache ,php and mysql in my pc. i have read some articles that about install server with your own pcs. that need a dns soft.

the article said it is easy to setup server ,just a simple one:)

Originally posted by dawizman
Hmm, lets see, I would figure a huge company like an ISP would have some sort of program that scans for open ports, if it finds say port 80 wide open, it would then check to see if there is a website at port 80. Thats why you set the web server to use a port such as the one used by kazaa.

The reason the rule is there is due to bandwidth and warez. ISP's just dont care anymore if your running a site. They have that rule to protect themselves legally if they shut you down if they have suspicions, but not proof, that your doing something illegal (such as warez). And no, the larger they are the less likely they are to scan for open ports. It simply uses way too much resource to do so. TW and Charter for example, couldnt find their rear with both hands, much less know if your running a site or not. It would take quite a few jobs to monitor such things on a continuous basis, and they simply dont feel the need to hire the people needed to do so.

Not to mention that they are so kiss***, that even if you are in the wrong, the more you b*tch, the more you get.

So Webdude, you're promoting breaking of ISP's TOSes because they don't actually care, especially if their huge?

Just a note, I was looking thru Verizon's AUP...apparently, you CAN run small-time personal servers on any connection. Just thought other verizon users might be interested. NOT business/commercial servers, JUST personal ones.

Last edited:
Back