• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Setting Up A File Host On My Computer

DJboutit

I would like to setup a file host on my computer I have 500gb of space to use how would I go about doing this? I need a easy way to set one up so people can download & upload files I do now want to run a ftp.

Install Apache, FTP, etc. Your normal computer is no different than to a server. It's just a server has more processing power, compared to a PC that requires more graphic power. You need to setup your router, googling should help you do that since you never posted what one you have.

If you know how to install OS', services, secure it etc, then you will do it easily. It's just your network. If you use a normal ISP, you need to check with them for bandwidth usage - it'll also be DEAD SLOW.

Overall though I'd say try it for testing but don't use it long-term. You might risk getting your internet banned.

When you talk about people who do you mean, like random anonymous people, or people on your network or organization? There are a bunch of ways to do it with it being as simple as windows file sharing to setting up a full blown php script with authentication. Give a few more details about your requirements.

How do you do it from your computer? Don't.
You'd be an idiot for setting one up. Why? Because all US ISP's disallow it.

Now, as for what Dynash says: Yea, you can test a setup and such and put it on another server. But, a home/residential internet connection will be terminated if it stays as a home file server for other users. And another why? Because you aren't allowed to have multiple incoming connections to your home. You can have as many as you want going out, but only a few coming in.

But, I'd be glad to help you setup a file host on your computer if you want.

How do you do it from your computer? Don't.
You'd be an idiot for setting one up. Why? Because all US ISP's disallow it.

Now, as for what Dynash says: Yea, you can test a setup and such and put it on another server. But, a home/residential internet connection will be terminated if it stays as a home file server for other users. And another why? Because you aren't allowed to have multiple incoming connections to your home. You can have as many as you want going out, but only a few coming in.

But, I'd be glad to help you setup a file host on your computer if you want.

Huh? Jumping the gun just a bit aren't we? I agree with you on the fact that when someone says file hosting they mean public file sharing, but minor sharing of files is different. Just need a little more info from the topic creator before jumping to conclusions.

You could use some WAMP server like XAMPP or UniServer to get started - my only concern if you share your files publicly you'd probably have a slower connection, thus large files would take ages to download...

I seen the ad you posted and I hate to break it to you but as soon as comcast sees that your hosting a website let alone a file sharing site they will shut down your connection. [This may not happen for 2 years but they could see it tomorrow]

Also correct me if I am wrong someone but didn't comcast bring in a new capped bandwidth thing that sucks for all you comcastic users out there? Something like 250gb/month transfer max.

If I am correct that right there could cost you a good chunk of change if someone uploads a file that gets a few more than average downloads in a month.

Back