• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should I wait for Windows 7?

M Bacon

I installed Vista again on my desktop and I had to reinstall the operating sytem 3 times in a row. It just wouldn't operate correctly and the programs kept crashing. I had xp on the machine after my computer came with vista and rarely had problems with it but I don't want to mess with xp anymore...I just want something new. I now have Linux Ubuntu on my machine. I am thinking about getting a quad core desktop with 4 gb of ram and Vista Home Premium for around $500. Should I do it or wait? My current machine has 1.5gb of ram and a 2.2 ghz one crap processor. I paid $220 for the computer. I heard that Windows 7 is coming out by the end of the year as well...I just don't know what to do right now.

Well think about this - Windows Vista is bloated, annoying, etc. but it has at least been through two years of updates. While Windows 7 promises some great improvements that I am personally looking forward to seeing but I am sure that at first it will have its fair share of bugs, etc (as does every tech product known to man, let's face it, we are human). If you told me Vista or 7 were my only options I would probably go with Vista simply fearing the classic issues early adopters commonly face. But, overall you should really consider keeping XP on your current machine and if you purchase a new one on that machine as well. Let's face it - XP finally has reached a decent level of stability, personally I will not allow a Vista machine to enter my companies workplace simply because I know XP and will most likely hinder productivity using Vista. Also - that little thing called UAC is just as annoying as any piece of technology has ever been. But as a final conclusion: I would personally suggest not looking that much into it - if you see a good deal now on a decent Vista machine grab it, make it 64 bit perhaps to help future proof and then in a year or two when 7 is up to snuff grab a copy and upgrade.

How good is your system? Perhaps it just can't support Vista? Regardless of what the min specs are, just like gaming you should always over compensate for room to move. So if your system is lame at running Vista then it's going to just as lame running Windows 7. It's still Vista.

I'd personally just wait until Windows 7 is released. Obviously both Windows Vista and Windows 7 will not run that well on your current machine as the specifications aren't that high. The new one you're looking at should run both OS's fine. :)

Linux Ubuntu is the best i think. If you still are interested in Windows then wait until its released.

Although I liked the speed of Windows 7 beta, it had too many problems. I couldn't keep up with them all. The ones I did fixed only gave way to new ones. There were problems with even Microsoft components, and I received little to no help in fixing those from the Beta forums.

So, all-in-all, I would recommend you wait for the release of it. I just converted back to XP Pro last night.

Windows 7 looks pretty promising, but it's a pity it isn't a good time to have a go at it right now. It's still more or less in the Beta Testing Stage, where many bugs have yet to be discovered, and fixed.

Although I liked the speed of Windows 7 beta, it had too many problems. I couldn't keep up with them all. The ones I did fixed only gave way to new ones. There were problems with even Microsoft components, and I received little to no help in fixing those from the Beta forums.

There. Those guys in the beta forum aren't all that sure with their own OS, at the moment. Though, they're supposed to be qualified technicians, but I guess we've got to give them some time.

I ran Windows Vista Ultimate on my Pentium 4, it ran okay, but not as good as on my dual core machine. Windows 7 beta is obviously going to have it's bugs, as it's in beta stage, hopefully Microsoft will do things "right" before releasing Windows 7 to the stores and on computers by sorting all the bugs out they can.

windows 7 will be the first decent os i have seen from microsoft in a while. IMO, Mac OS X ftw, but, that is me.

XP all the way.

Never wait on Microsoft - You will be kept waiting a very long time. Plus - I would not recommend installing 7 until its been out at least a year.

I would just stick with Windows XP and wait until 7 comes out then do that but only if you don't care to lose data or you could just back it up.

Windows 7 runs a lot faster than Vista. Been running it for about 2 months now. There's a few issues, like when UAC pops up sometimes the resolution goes to 1024x768 and I loose my desktop background. :/

That could just be the w7 beta nvidia drivers though.

But yep, don't bother with Vista now imo.

Running Windows 7 Build 7057 (says Release Candidate 1 on the installer) and it's been running very smoothly. Can't wait for the RTM version.

Big improvement over Vista & XP...

Back