• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Spam!

Anyway I work as a personal assistant in the day and i want to organise my emails so i have just one account (for this job) i brought a domain and registered it with GMAIL so i could use there free services minitues after me setting up a new email i had SPAM already in my INBOX and no one even had the email? How is this POSSIBLE?

So what i want is a web mail provider free or paid. That has IMAP so i can use OUTLOOK with it. :D

And ive got no adware on my computer because i brought it yesturday :D new from dell.

If the domain name has been previously registered (or even if it hasn't) you can still get spammed, it's just the way they autocreate lists to spam everything and everybody possible.

I have had this before, I signed up to a gmail account and without ever using it I signed in one day and had received tons of spam.

There are two reasons for this,

The spam is from gmail or emails given out by gmail (unlikely)
Or it was a name that people can just guess, for example if I send an email to alex@gmail.com I am likely to get a viewer. If it was sdfgserter2342@gmail.com then maybe there is something happening behind the scenes..

Gmail's pretty good at filtering out spam, and they sure as hell don't sell your email address. So most likely what Decker said is true.

I see. So is there any type of username@mydomain.com that wont be to spam because before it was pa@mydomain.com and it magnaged to get spammed straight away within mins... no it hasnt been registered before. Yeah it did go into the spam inbox but it gets so FULL that i cant check it all and there might be valuable messages in there.

I prefer using gMail over Live though. Only when I have an active account. They are good with their spam filters, it only takes once to report it, and it's banned for you. So be careful what you flag.

yup, i use gmail - all my web emails simply forward to it (and then my mail program) - I'm yet to get any spam, it's fantastic!

Currently, I have 657 spam messages in my GMail. That's excluding the spam messages I deleted and the spam messages GMail deletes every 30 days.

Though all of that is in my spam folder. I love GMail's spam filtering

I have heard that spamers track new registered domain names and send out emails on the most common prefixes: admin@ info@ etc

They do, creating lists with all the common prefixes along with wildcard ones.

You can't send to *@example.com

You can brute your way up thousands of characters but the processing power wouldn't be worth it for anybody.

A rule of thumb is: NEVER reply to spam emails. This tells the spammer that the email is in use. So don't do it.

Not what I meant :) what I meant was the list creator simply adds random names and or characters as the prefix, if your not using fail or blackhole they will go to the default address, so you can get spam to an unlimited amount of addresses on one domain.

The rule of thumb is right - NEVER click the unsubscribe link!

Back