• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

SSI and PHP, beware, newbiew alert :D

ningaming

hey guys,

I have been working with SSI for little bit now, and started working on putting in on my 860 pages. The only problem is I
A-have to change all the file extensions to .shtml
B-have to make all the link changes to SSI :D

well I have alredy made all the link changes to SSI (just used a quick find and replace program) and am dreading the changing alllll those file to .shtml

Now right now all of my pages are using the ssi < include file="absoltepath" > (and the mess in there of course) so hopefull you can understand why I would not use < include virtual-"file.txt"> because I would have to change all the paths to go to the correct file, ../mainfolder.......ect,

Does that Make Sense? I am fairly new at this (derrr) and i am pretty poor at using hte correct "terms"

anway now to my question :D

I have heard PHP has something like SSI, <?php include("yourfile.txt"); ?> , but the only problem is, I would have to link each page to the correct path. if i was in one folder, I would have to make it <?php include(".../yourfile.txt"); ?> and on and on.....is there anyway around this

or is there away around changing all the .html files to .shtml.........sorry for the poor questioning...hopeuflly SOMEOne can understand

It depends on the server you are on. If .htaccess files are allowed you can get the server to parse all files for SSI (if this is allowed).
If this isn't an option it doesn't need to be so problematic to rename the files.

RenameIt!
Rename-it

Rename-it is more advanced but take some time to get used to. RenameIt! has absolutely no learning curve and handles something like this as nothing. :)

RenameIt! it appears I have to add a file individually....does this mean i have to go include each file.....open file....open file....open file......open file

also dont see where I can change the extension....

you don't really need to rename them all. if your host allows .htaccess override, just upload a .htaccess file with this on it:
Code:
AddHandler server-parsed .html .htm
that will have all .html & .htm extensions utilize ssi. just add more or less extensions as you need them [separated by a space].

No, there's no problem to do that. Good you asked though. You have to set the option to rename extensions from the menu. I remember I didn't notice that at first.

[ADD: You don't have to add the files individually. You get the usual windows "Open" dialog and can block select them or you can drag and drop if you prefer. It's perfect for this kind of thing but it doesn't support RegExp and other advanced options that the other one has. ]

Last edited:
If you can't use .htaccess rename them. It takes half a minute all in all. ;)

either I am severily stoned, or am just plain retarded, but I still can't find a place to change the extensions from a "menu" i guess im extremely tired or something

i have a ton of directories.....like prob about 200 in all...i can't select folders?? or maybe im just stoned........who knows

Forgot again - Yes, you can add a whole directory but you need to drag it to RenameIt! since the windows open dialog doesn't support selection of directories.

ok, let's say I am mentally challenged, its 2 AM here

ADDITION I FIGURED OUTHOW TO CHANGE THE EXTENSIONS.....JUST NEED TOKNOW HOW TO BRING THE WHOLE FOLDER OVER NOW

im dragging and dropping....into the window.....not letting me......zzz...giving me a circle with a cross through it (saying I can't drag and drop that folder in the window

i swear I need something to pick me up

Me it politely asks if I want all files to be added. Eeeerrr...do you drop in the upper window? The lower is for the replacing rules.

yeah, it wasn't letting me do it before, so i restarted it, now it lets me, but if I ad a directory...it only adds the FILES in that directory....not the directories inside the directory

see I have a lot of directories with the letts A-Z.......Im gonna have to go into each one and select it.....select it.....select it...

:rolleyes:
I mean grab the folder on your desktop or where you have it and drag it into the program's window, THE UPPER, and drop it there.
While we are at it - when you've got the files in you do this:

1. Hit the Add rule button

2. In the new window that opens
a) select "Replace" from the drop down menu
b) Type ".html" (w/o the quotes) in the Search field and ".shtml" in the Replace field
c) Check only "Match case"
d) Hit Add rule button

3. Back in the first window.
a) Hit the Rename files button
b) Check in the window that opens that everything looks correct and hit the Rename button.

DONE!!!!!

Will I get rewarded in heaven for this, I wonder? :D

sorry,

I already figured that mess out :D

when i put a directory in there, It only ads the files...I'd like it to ad EVERYTHING inside that directory......it doesn't appear like it can be done

sorry for waisting your time, If I see you in heaven, I'll give you errrr ....ummm.....well whatever we need in heaven......ah an extra pair of wings

:eek: But Jesus, man! Use the Open dialog, press down shift and block select all files in each directory!

Holy shit.:devious2:

Or drag the folders one by one to the window - it just keeps adding files.

Huh...do you eat all your food mashed? :confused:

nevermind.....im a retard.......YOU HAPPY HUH YOU HAPPY!!!!!!!

yeah I figured I could do that...but i wanted to annoy you instead.....im joking of course

well i obviously asked that question wrong.....it doesn't matter, i know what im doing now, i should have just spent the 30 minutes pressing all the #$%@# buttons, and I wouldn't have ticked you off...oh well :rolleyes:

yeah, now that I had my soda...im starting to pick things up a little easeir...

Last edited:
yeah after looking at my post which u replied to so kindly i see what you thought I meant.......which really wasn't what I meant, BUT it no longer matters. Your stupider for helping me, for that I salute you mr meow..........did I just say that out loud? It appears the freezing process has left me with no inner dialect......nnnnnneverminddddd

btw, i've been to ur links, nice work..:) alrigh I think that about does it for my retardedness for one day. Thanks Meow, save those directions incase another idiot comes along

Last edited:
Back