• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

System33r.exe?

Neglito

When I load up my computer this thing pops up as soon as i log in it says...

'Windows cannot find 'system33r.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.'

How can I fix this problem is there anyway I can download that file or anything? Please help, thanks.

I had the same problem and no anti-virus program helped.
Open the win.ini file and check the boot section. You will probably see this line:
shell=Explorer.exe system33r
Remove system33r and your problem should be fixed. Then run Trend House Call or your favorite AV program to make sure the machine is clean.

Go to Start-> Run
and type in sysedit
A window should come up, check all the windows for system33r entries
remove them. It sounds a rat (remote administration trojan/tool)
if it is, then you can probably fix it, but it sounds like that file is not on your hard-drive, your AV probably picked up the trojan and removed it, but the registry key is still there.

Another way, http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml - use that and remove any suspicous entries.

Back