• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Trade for some webspace...

NukedWeb

I have a website, Snipples Webcam Community, that I had been running for almost a year. About a month ago, I had to take it down because it was getting to be just too popular for me to afford the bandwidth to keep it going. The last month it was up, it used 10 gigs for that month. That may have been a descrepency though, because the host counts data passed between the server and MySQL as data transferred, and I dont think it should be that way. Then again, it could very well have used this much!

My offer is this: For a webhosting company looking for a bit more recognition, I'll be more than willing to give complete ad space -- banners at the top of each page, links on the main page of whatever it is you need, and I would also suggest signing up to the XCam affiliate program, and I'll include that as a popunder. If you can think of anything else I can offer, I'm all ears!

More about the site:
At last count, the website's MySQL database was 3.8 megs, and the site's files are probably less than 100k, and not very many images. The site operates by taking webcam snapshots from the user's webcam and uploads them to the site in 10-second intervals. As of now, those snapshots were stored as data in MySQL, hence the 3.8M database. Before I reopen the site, the snapshots will be stored as files on the server. These figures will be considerably smaller when the site reopens because many of the site's members will have moved on, and all the picture data will be reset. The downloadable program for the site, SpyCast Webcam Community will be stored on other servers, and won't count towards the bandwidth the site uses.

If you need more info, email me at tim-at-nukedweb.com -- when emailing me, be sure to mention whether or not your host allows adult content. (Webcams containing adult content can be removed, but up until I closed the site, I promoted this, but they're categorized as General and Adult).

When I first opened the site, the intent was to beat out a competitor, "Camarades", by creating a 100% free webcam site, for both viewers and webcam owners, and because I'm a man of my word, I refused to develop any sort of paid service model for this site.

Anyways, email me if you're interested! tim-at-nukedweb.com =)

//Offtopic

Id just like to wish you good luck because i hate camerades and we need a service like yours on the net. lol. good luck tim.

You will be hard pressed to find someone to do this for free, but you could host $6 per month if you can afford it.

A few of you seemed rather interested in this trade, but I'd like to point out two non-standard requirements this website needs:

1) A dedicated IP address is needed for wildcarded DNS (unless the server can be configured to point anything.snipples.com to the site's root)
2) The GD library compiled with PHP. This is used to generate thumbnails of webcam images, and as I've found, isn't supported by many webhosts.

Of course, the site *could* be reconfigured to not utilize these two features, but I don't feel it reflects well on thew webmaster to offer two important features like these, and then take them away, especially when the site has already been online for almost a year with these features. =)

The site is now online and operational on my current webhost, but only tempoarily, until I find a new host. http://www.snipples.com/

Back