• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Using A Record for Reseller Account? (DNS Management)

ozaidum

Hi! :)

Is it alright to use "A Records" instead of using "NS Records" in setting up my domain for my reseller account? I don't know if it will work the same.

Thank you. ^^

You need the A Names for the IPs of your server anyway. So I don't know what you're trying to mean.

Yes, that is fine. You can have the name servers pointed elsewhere (such as in the use of dns management). You can then have that place set an A record for the domain to point to your server using the server IP.

That should work fine to have a site show up on your account.

oh, thanks for that?

how about when I create sub accounts, I mean new accounts using subdomains, won't there be any conflict? ^^

ex. mydomain.com => newaccount.mydomain.com

What the NS record does, is it tells the DNS system to handball all DNS requests to the Nameserver listed for *.domain.com

I.E.
127.0.0.1 (A) -- @ domain.com (Root A record for domain.com)

At this point, if you look up www.domain.com you will see that it will fail!
127.0.0.1 (A) -- @ domain.com (Root A record for domain.com)
domain.com (CNAME) www @ domain.com (CNAME Record for WWW point to domain.com)

Now you can access the site using www.domain.com.

For each subdomain name, there must be either an A entry, an NS entry (With corresponding A entry) OR a CNAME entry otherwise the subdomain name will point to nothing and will not work.

The difference between NS and A entry is as followed.
NS is the instruction entry to tell the DNS system to handball or pass on all DNS checks and lookups to the name server listed in the NS entry.
A entry tells the DNS system what IP address should be loaded when loading the domain name or subdomain name with the A entry.
CNAME is a pass to entry, it pretty much is a redirection entry, that's why when you load up www.yoursite.com you get the same page as yoursite.com.

So in turn, YES, using A entries will work for your reseller, however you will need to add these A entries yourself, however, using the NS record to point your domain name to a name server (like BIND) cPanel and most other control panels WILL add this A entry for you.

Easier option is to use name servers, annoying and time consuming option is to use A entries which are manual.

Can you use IP address of the server instead of nameserver?

If you want to transfer your DNS control for your domain name to your DNS server, you need to use NS in your domain name setup. You can make your own top level name servers which point to DNS IP addresses.

For Example,

google.com
ns1.google.com (Top level NS)
ns2.google.com (Top level NS)

Rather then,
google.com
ns1.somehost.com
ns2.somehost.com

You just need to make sure that your ns1 / ns2 .google.com are the same IPs as NS1 / NS2 .somehost.com

If you get what I mean.

oh, thanks for that?

how about when I create sub accounts, I mean new accounts using subdomains, won't there be any conflict? ^^

ex. mydomain.com => newaccount.mydomain.com
Use wild-card entry for the A record for your domain.

Depending on the interface from where you and entering this. Wildcard can be either a * or a %.

Back