• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS/dedicated for web hosting company

_patrick_

I'm interested in getting a VPS or dedicated, to start a hosting company.

Probably I'll be using Linux. I would like to know, what do I have to configure to be able to sell hosting space? (limit space/transfer)
Most include Plesk, CPanel, Ensim or "simple control panel". Do all of them allow to create reseller or end-client panels? Do they just auto install when you create a new client account? What's the difference between them?

What do you need to run the server? I mean what do you have to install? It has the OS, but what about apache, php, and whatever basic stuff I don't know about?

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
cPanel, Plesk and other control panels install apache, bind, ect for you. If you get a control panel with your VPS or dedicated server, you should not need to install anything, as your host will do it for you.

If you have no idea about SSH, I would recommend you get DirectAdmin or cPanel. As those two are the easiest to use.

Thanks for responding.
So I have to install manuall PHP and GD-library? If I remember well MySQL control is from within the control panel right? or do I have to install something first?

If you get cPanel PHP comes with it, and GD library can be installed via the main control panel.

DirectAdmin is highly recommended just for the fact it is cheaper and the support is considerably better. Also, CPanel tends to break custom compiled apache etc....My opinion: VPS....stay away from CPanel

Right now I'm trying a VPS with Plesk.
First impressions about the VPS is that FTP has never been that fast.

Most things are quite intuitive. Seems to be easy to setup and configure everything.
One thing I can't figure out, how do you connect using SSH? When trying to conect with telnet I get this error (translated from spanish): "Unable to open the conection to host, at port 23: Error in the conection"

SSH and telnet are totally different, telnet is so insecure, it's not used much anymore.

Also; SSH works on port 22, telnet on 23. You need to download an SSH client like PuTTY

Don't :) It's a security risk but I guess if you're dead set on it...

SSH into the box, 'su' to root:

Use the MySQL monitor to grant privileges.

Start the MySQL monitor with this command:

Code:
mysql

or:

Code:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
(depends)

Your shell prompt should now look like this:

Code:
mysql>

Run this command:

Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO USERNAME@IP IDENTIFIED BY "PASSWORD";

USERNAME is the username that you would like to create.
IP is the public IP address of your remote connection. See examples
PASSWORD is the password you would like to use for this username.

You now must flush MySQL's privileges. Run this command:

Code:
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Run this command to exit MySQL:

Code:
exit;

Thanks a lot.
What if the user has a dynamic IP address?

Why exactly is it a security risk? The only thing I can imagine is that someone can send lots of requests, but he could do the same using a on-server php-script.

You are pretty much allowing access to your complete MYSQL server. If there is a vulnerability or remote injection exploit then all of your data is at risk for being stolen/modified/deleted. Especially if there were credit card numbers or personal information stored on the server... There have been previous MYSQL buffer overrun exploits than run remotely...

Pretty much anytime you allow public access to a service you are opening up alot of risk not only with that service but also to all of your customers.

Right now I'm trying to install ImageMagick on the RedHat VPS. To what folder I should upload the file?

Last edited:
Back