• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS for minecraft

rmb938

Hi, I currently have a new and extremely active minecraft server. Around peek times I have 10-20 people online. I will also be starting a website pretty soon. I am getting 1-10 new people joining the server daily so it is pretty active.

I am looking for a vps to host the server on. I really just need it for a better internet connection because right now its being hosted at my house. The server doesn't need much but I am saying at least 256 ram.

I would rather have a windows OS but linux is fine.

Anyway for what I will give you. I will happily put adverts for your company on my website as well as in the minecraft server. If you think that is not enough we can work out something.

I just need a vps till the server gets big enough were I can accept donations and then I will pay for it with the donations.

So hopefully we can work out something and I will be waiting for your reply.

Thanks rmb938 :)

You will need at least 1GB RAM for 15-20 people. I would strongly advise you to use 1.5GB-2GB RAM however, since when I hosted a Minecraft server RAM usage at 12 people was around 1.2GB.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is most people just do not have the resources to give out 1GB+ VPS for free. I strongly advise you to either rent a VPS at burst.net. It is $10 a month for 1GB RAM and you should be able to get by on that until you are pulling in enough donations to become self-sufficient.

You *might* be able to get by with 512MB, but it would lag to all hell and you would really be chugging into the page file if the VPS supports it.

Oh wow I didn't relive the ram usage was so high. Thanks for the reply though and I will look into purchasing one instead. Thanks

No you can develop if you like. There is a source code you can download. You also can make plugins and stuff

If you are willing to develop the game further, I am willing to let you try it for a month. After that I will look if this is going to work or not.
The donations should go to me tho, you can get the vps ;)

My servers are located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Server specifications:

Intel Core i7
8GB ramm
2TB harddrive
100mbps unmetered.

Last edited:
Alright I am a coder my self and I was starting to make addons and stuff for it. What OS is it running? I just switched my server over to linux since it runs better so if its a form of linux that would be awesome

Its running on a template of Windows XP. I will look into that Linux.
Give me a day or something. I will contact you.

My understanding is that in the last update or two Notch fixed the massive RAM usage; but I can't verify that. If this is the case then a lot more options will open up for you.

He did not fix the massive ram usage. I almost crashed a VPS I had trying to run one- On 256MB of RAM it lagged itself right off my IRC and almost became unresponsive. The only thing the most recent update did was broke all of the / commands for players.

It's very strange though. The Windows GUI version of the software reports only about 50MB usage when only one person is connected to it, but trying to run the Linux version on a Sunfire V100 (Sparc UltraII CPU, 2GB RAM) resulted in the box having a constant .75 load and being slow responding as well as the game server having noticeable lag.

Back