• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS only 1 IP - how to configure?

_patrick_

I'm considering getting a VPS and have seen a cheap and good one, but it only has 1 IP.

I'm going to host several sites (all mine, no reseller) on this vps. My question is: how do you configure a vps with only 1 IP?

They told me the ip will be shared by all my sites. So I guess it will be used for ftp, webmail, etc. But having only 1 IP means that it will not be used as a nameserver. (they already confirmed that they don't recomend using the ns-service on their basic vps).

Do I understand correctly that in this situacion all my domains point to my host's nameservers but in Plesk I configure webmail, ftp, etc. to use my IP?

Thanks in advance!

Calinax said:
Well, you should consider getting 2 IPs at least. Also, whats your budget and requirement?

budget low, requierements almost none :)

Seriously, I just need a small space to develop some basic websites.

Two of the domains, I will just run to develop and sell the names/sites.
Other one is for contracting a party (like striptease, and business parties) - it's a small company probably few visitors.
and the last one will be to develop, and keep for advertising profits.

Probably there will be more sites in a near future, but they will all have the same purpose (run to be sold, or advertising profit).

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
Last edited by _patrick_ : Today at 15:50. Reason: Where has Calinax message gone to?
Probably as he was verging on making an offer in a discussion forum.

Ask your host if you can use 2 shared nameserver IP's for yours.

Actually, I'm open for any offer, because it isn't my host yet.

If I can use 2 shared ns IPs, then whatfor is the IP they give me? email, ftp? or something else?

In which case, please click the red triangle on your top post asking the mods to move it to the requests forum.
Chris

@Chris ... Lol

@Patrick: If you only get 1 IP then then you should remember that you pay for what you get.

The 1 IP is your VPS IP, you don't share between VPS's, the 2 shared would be the hosts NS IP's that are allowed to be used as NS IP's by a client.

As Chris says, if your looking for offers getthe thread moved to requests as hosts cannot offer in this section :)

you should be able to use the host's nameservers, most hosts use non-branded nameservers like ns1.welcomeservers.com which doesnt show your upstream hosts name... and if they give you an ip, you should be able to register ns1.yourdomain.com etc to those ip's.

Although it may show up as a warning on dnsreport and such it is still valid.

@Decker: Thanks for the explanation.

@Prontohost.
Actually I don't care if someone can identify my host. I'm not a reseller.
But thanks for the explanation, that's more or less what I thought.

If you don't have you own nameservers somewhere where you can manage the dns for this 1IP vps, That vps provider should have available for you nameservers where they will manage it for you. Ask them. If they don't provide that, They are being stupid offering 1IP vpses.

Back