• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS VS Dedicated - Upgrade Help

Rusnak PHP

Hello,

I've got a bit of a problem that maybe someone more familiar with hosting than myself can help me with. I currently have a website hosted on a low to midrange VPS system. I am happy with this provider and for the most part my website works well on this server. During peak hours, however, my website will receive spikes in traffic, which will slow down the site for everyone, increase MySQL load as well as increase server load to over 10x the normal levels. These high server loads can occur a few times a week. These spikes in traffic are getting worse and causing my site to be slow for visitors more often as well as causing high CPU utilization when they occur.

So, here's my question, should I upgrade my existing VPS, purchase a second VPS and offload part of the processing to that second VPS, or get a low range (around $100 / month) dedicated server?

If I were to get a second VPS I would put part of the site on the second VPS and remotely connect to the database on the first VPS. The way the site currently is half of the requests to the VPS are to image files, which is what would be moved to the second VPS server. So the first VPS would host the website and database and the second one would serve the images, relieving the first server from some of the load of serving these images thousands of times a day.

So, I am wondering what would give me a better performance boost, moving the site to a single dedicated server or subdividing the site into the two VPS servers and linking them in this way? Also, if I did go the two VPS route, since the second VPS would need to remotely connect to the database on the first VPS, would I experience any lag from this due to the connection? How important would it be for the second VPS to be in a physical location close to the first VPS? Also, does just simply upgrading the VPS to have more RAM seem like an option, when the real issue is more so CPU as well as RAM?

Any opinions would be appreciated. :)
Thanks. :)

You could always upgrade your RAM and that would relieve some stress but how much CPU are you allowed to use? Once you reach the high amount of your limit everything will slow.

You should probably go with a dedicated server (cheap ones will work) as it would be less work and less to manage while having no worry about using to much resource as its all dedicated to you

I think leasing a dedicated server is cheaper than upgrading your vps. And you have the total control of the server. So,
"no need to worry. You are the only. Even if the sky is falling down..... " :p

Thanks for the replies. I do not believe that my current host places any limits on the amount of CPU I am allowed to use on the VPS. My main concern is that if I go from my VPS, which is on an 8 CPU server to a low end VPS with only one CPU or maybe a dual-core CPU that I'll be taking a hit in that respect and not have processing power equal to that I currently have on the VPS.

Thanks for the replies. I do not believe that my current host places any limits on the amount of CPU I am allowed to use on the VPS. My main concern is that if I go from my VPS, which is on an 8 CPU server to a low end VPS with only one CPU or maybe a dual-core CPU that I'll be taking a hit in that respect and not have processing power equal to that I currently have on the VPS.

If you don't want to leave your current provider, upgrade your package. A few more RAM would be nice if they don't limit CPU usage. Otherwise you may have to go for a higher package.

since no CPU usage limitation, go for the package upgrade, if after the upgrades, the price is still lower than a dedicated server.

if the price is near to a dedicated server, then u should consider to go with a dedicated server...
:)

I do agree with the rest . Since your provider is giving you a good service and this issue is only for certain times , it isn't sensible to switch over to a full fledged server for the rest of the part which is normal .
But if you have some extra cash , just get an upgrade .

-My suggestion: study the pattern of traffic to get an estimated time during which the high load occurs and ask your host to help you during that period . That definitely should make a difference since you don't need all that capacity full time .

Just my 2 cents .
Best Regards,
Aloycasmir

If you are with your web hosting provider for a long period of time I think they are the ones you trust. Ask them for suggestion and follow it once you get it. Good luck

Thanks for all the replies. My VPS was actually suspended today due to high CPU usage, so I guess they weren't giving me unlimited CPU usage, they just weren't enforcing their policy until now.

I've purchased a cheap dedicated server from them and they're setting it up now as well as transferring everything over. Hopefully it will work out. :)

If you have the budget, a cluster system of VPS's is better in most cases than a single dedicated server in my opinion. You can setup one of the VPS's to be a load balancer and then redirecting all the traffic to other two(or more) machines. Having much load on a single machine can lead to a halt of some services, like Apache or MySQL. If that happens on a cluster VPS system, the load balancer can redirect the traffic to the servers that have the service running and that way your website will stay up all the times. Of course, the above method requires alot of technical knowledge so I won't recommend it if you don't know how to do it.

Also, if I did go the two VPS route, since the second VPS would need to remotely connect to the database on the first VPS, would I experience any lag from this due to the connection? How important would it be for the second VPS to be in a physical location close to the first VPS?

The best option in this case would be that the two VPS's are located on a same physical machine. If that is not possible and they are in the same network that would be fine too.

Also, does just simply upgrading the VPS to have more RAM seem like an option, when the real issue is more so CPU as well as RAM?

Upgrading your RAM might not solve your problem. Your CPU is quite important for MySQL processes for example. Have in mind that most of the virtualization software that is used for VPS's does give you an exact Mhz of the CPU's on the physical machine, but you get CPU units. Think of the CPU units as percentage and priority of your CPU time against all other people on the same physical machine.

Thanks for all the replies. My VPS was actually suspended today due to high CPU usage, so I guess they weren't giving me unlimited CPU usage, they just weren't enforcing their policy until now.

I've purchased a cheap dedicated server from them and they're setting it up now as well as transferring everything over. Hopefully it will work out. :)

I'm curious: that was what they recommended for you to use or you made your decision and started using dedicated server ?

I'm curious: that was what they recommended for you to use or you made your decision and started using dedicated server ?

Probably the fact that they suspended my VPS and wouldn't let me grab a current backup unless I purchased a dedicated server. Also, when they sent me an email showing that my VPS was using 10 times more resources than all the other VPSs on the physical machine COMBINED I knew I would have to upgrade soon. :)

On a typical day my site gets over 100,000 requests so I could see how I was using so many resources. :)

oh.... u got ur data captured by them as hostage.....
i think u should pay the ransom and then escape to another place......
it does not make sense that kidnap the client's data and not giving the client back the datas, unless the client has violated TOS like copyright issues etc....

oh.... u got ur data captured by them as hostage.....
i think u should pay the ransom and then escape to another place......
it does not make sense that kidnap the client's data and not giving the client back the datas, unless the client has violated TOS like copyright issues etc....
CPU usage may have been stated in their ToS as something they can withhold files for...

Back