• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ways to protect against car theft

Koolguy

Tomorrow I am going to be installing several thousand dollars worth of electronics in my car (dvd, xbox, subs etc). I am starting to get quite worried about all of this stuff getting stolen. What are some suggestions on how to protect against theft? Are car alarms effective at all? Should I tint my front side windows?

Tint will help keep people from looking in. Advertising the brands on your car with brand stickers is a bad idea. Alarms are nice, but not really effective. If they want it they will get it.

I have a couple thousand of stereo equipment in my current SUV, and I've got twice that going into the car I will be buying within the next two weeks. I've found that the best bet is to make sure everything is BOLTED DOWN SECURELY TO THE CAR. If it is bolted down and tied into the electrical system, it's part of the car. CD cases and stuff usually aren't considered unless your insurance company states otherwise.

Then call your insurance company and tell them you want EVERYTHING covered. Find out how much if any it will go up. Pay it. It's the only way you'll be completely safe.

Also, an alarm might make your insurance costs go down a little bit. So while it wont exactly keep your stuff from getting stolen in a lot of cases, it will be a good investment in reducing insurance costs.

isnt there like a living room for that or something

dvd is fine though, for the kids

Yeah, sure, to play XBox games. But Robert, YOU'RE driving this time. I had to drive the past three times and I want to get in some Halo time.

Yeah it is just cool to have all that junk in your car. I just can't afford it, and wouldn't go well in a 1993 Ford Aerostar (I am driving it cause I sold my 1965 mustang 3 montsh ago)

Have an xBox for passengers, I tend to go on quite a few road trips and entertainment is allways nice on the longer drives. Not to mention it its just so amazingly pimping :)

My friend had a very nice alarm system in his car, it is the one that pages you when your door opens, or when someone touches your glass with a metal object.

This is all really sad.
You plan on putting all these electronics into your car, yet you know shit all when it comes to anti-theft devices?
You really should've done your homework prior to making this decision. :confused4

This whole setup its going to be very permanent. Would bolting everything down and intentionally stripping the bolts help at all?

It really came up quick, a friend of mine is selling most of his equipment (upgrading) and I haven't had much time to investigate security.

Last edited:
Koolguy said:
This whole setup its going to be very permanent. Would bolting everything down and intentionally stripping the bolts help at all?

It really came up quick, a friend of mine is selling most of his equipment (upgrading) and I haven't had much time to investigate security.
Ah, well that is fair enough then.
I just assumed you had been collecting the gear for a while now.

Yeah, I had a cheap deck and some budget subs in there before. It was nothing I was worried about losing and this is why I haven't looked into security before.

what i'd like to know is how your going to power all those electric goods. better be a good car to get that all to work. i'm wondering ifs there's a system that will stop your car from starting up even if hotwired without the key. i know of a system i just can't think who or what its called. that would stop anyone from stealing your car and having them resort to a 'sash and run'. and bolt it all down and i don't think you'll have a problem. or get a really crappy car, who the hell would steal a crappy car? :knockedou .

Theres no fool-proof security system
as suggested before, insure everything, and install Boomerang on your car if its available, insurance costs reduced.

Installing an alarm is no simple task. You want the alarm brain to be hidden well behind the dash as well as a backup battery and multiuple hidden sirens. Personally, I do my own custom fiberglass/wood fabrication, wiring, installation, etc. for the audio/video portion, but when it comes to the alarm I'd leave that to a real professional. Someone who has installed before and nows how to install it effectively.

As far as powering all of it, it really depends on your car. If you're running 1200 watts rms, you should be fine using a main line of 4 guage wire. Anything above that power, and I'd go for 2 guage, or even overkill it with 0 guage. Make sure you properly fuse the wiring as well.

If you experience problems with light dimming, I would upgrade the following connections under your hood with 4 guage wire: negative battery to chassis; engine to chassis; alternator to positive Battery. That usually fixes the problem and is cheaper than using an expensive power capacitor that store clerks will try to get you to buy.

If you're running a lot of power, and still having problems with too much strain on your electrical system upgrade your battery. Optima yellow tops are great deep cycle batteries. If you're still having problems, go for a high output alternator. Seeing as this sounds like a daily driver, if you're having problems after adding a HO alternator, I'd be curious as to what exactly you're running :p!

As far as bolting and stripping the bolts, it would be much simpler to take a hammer and flat head screw driver to the threads on the bolt. When you mess up the threads, it makes it pretty much impossoble to remove the bolt without taking a saw to it.

Also, when you bolt things down to the body of the car, make sure to seal around them with silicone to prevent water from entering the car.

Have fun :).

Last edited:
Back