• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Website Design! How long does it take?

mtrebor

Hi all, I am a newbie, mtrebor
Help I purchased a Domain and found a website builder to set it up, a very well spoken and confidant guy, well that was my impression I chose him rather than one which was cheaper.
I forwarded the deposit that he requested, direct into his bank account
I then forwarded the Domain Name and Password when he requested it, he stated it would take 3/4 days which is now 3/4 weeks.
I have received a basic home page which was sent for me to check, I then asked for adjustments but I am having problems getting any answer's.
I would like to get it up and running as it's for my grandson ben morphett who rides in motorcycle trials and starts world events on 4th April in Ireland
Thanks Robert M

If the person who is designing the website is a professional then, i guess it should not take more than a week. I think you should take follow up of all the work.

Have you not heard anything other than the sending of a page to check?
Have you tried contacting them to request an update on the design process?
Have you asked for examples of his work before paying?

If he is professional, it can take anything up to 3 months to design a website. This, of course, depends on the type of website required. Many designers like to take their time with their work to ensure they don't screw it up.

Try contacting him again and if you don't hear anything I would be talking to the bank.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, was the deposit a 50% Payment Up Front or what was the deal? Most designers ask for 25 to 50% as a down-payment just before designing begins.

Hi Robdale & Dan
First he is a professional website designer and he placed the job with a fellow worker who started on the home page to which I requested adjustments and a couple of photos added plus a different font.

This is the type of site I want http://www.alexzwigg.com/ is that a difficult site.

I was quoted £350 of which I paid £200 cash direct into his bank.

I must have sent 20 to 30 emails to keep things going.

I now have gone back the the site where I purchased the Domain and have changed the password, so I have not lost that.

I never asked for any samples of his work as his sounded great when specking to him on the phone.

Thanks Bob m

Hi Robdale & Dan
First he is a professional website designer and he placed the job with a fellow worker who started on the home page to which I requested adjustments and a couple of photos added plus a different font.

This is the type of site I want http://www.alexzwigg.com/ is that a difficult site.

I was quoted £350 of which I paid £200 cash direct into his bank.

I must have sent 20 to 30 emails to keep things going.

I now have gone back the the site where I purchased the Domain and have changed the password, so I have not lost that.

I never asked for any samples of his work as his sounded great when specking to him on the phone.

Thanks Bob m

Hi Bob,

There is nothing difficult about that design at all. In fact, that design should take no more than a week to 10 days. And even at that I would be taking my time.

My suggestion to you would be to contact your bank and start working on getting refunded. It's obvious to me at this stage that you have been scammed.

You need to be extra careful when hiring someone online to work for you.
1. You don't know them
2. You can't see them
3. Anyone can be convincing from behind a computer screen and/or a telephone.

When looking for a designer to do this for you, it is important to ask for an example or 2 or 3 examples of their work. This will show you what type of designer they are.
You should also do a google search on their name or business/website name. Just to see if there are any reviews etc about them that you can read and determine from there if you want them to work for you.

Make sure and get things sorted before paying them.

Hope this helps and good luck. Tell your Grandson an Irish man says "Best o' Luck in Eire" :)

I done a Google Search and have found him on Face Book, but wait for it he is also a member of this site.
We may have done enough for him to make contact should he read this thread.
I dont think I have damaged his Name, and will I not if things take a turn for the better.
Thanks for Help and good luck wishes for Ben
Bob M

I done a Google Search and have found him on Face Book, but wait for it he is also a member of this site.
We may have done enough for him to make contact should he read this thread.
I dont think I have damaged his Name, and will I not if things take a turn for the better.
Thanks for Help and good luck wishes for Ben
Bob M

No problem Bob. Hope things get sorted for you.

yes, just try to contact him and get it sorted, and hope for the best...

I am still trying by emails, no joy, I tried a landline number I found but was unobtainable and a mobile number was switched off.

But I go on holiday for 2 weeks in a few days time so I will give it my best.

Thanks anyway for your help
Bob M

I am still trying by emails, no joy, I tried a landline number I found but was unobtainable and a mobile number was switched off.

But I go on holiday for 2 weeks in a few days time so I will give it my best.

Thanks anyway for your help
Bob M

Bob, I have responded to your PM regarding the "designer" in this case.

Dan

Bob, did you check to see if he had a website and portfolio before purchasing?
Did you get a phone number?
Also, since you paid by bank deposit you must have some of his info.

Well I waited and waited for a reply sending email after email and trying all the phone numbers I could find, some dead and others I left a message on, but no answer.
So a couple of weeks ago I got help from eaglehawk.com and now we are up and running benmorphett.com
I am going the make a appointment with a solicitor regarding the £200 deposit as the bank cant help or give a refund.
Thanks to all at freewebspace.net for your help and suggestions.
Bob M

To be honest with you a competent designer could do a site like that in a day or two, good luck with getting the money back. ;)

I probable made the job take longer than necessary as I went on holiday.
About getting the money back, it could be time for name and shame. :shame:

I probable made the job take longer than necessary as I went on holiday.
About getting the money back, it could be time for name and shame. :shame:

Hi Bob.

He is right. A competent designer COULD do it in a day or two. But chances are it would be full of Typos and errors etc. As I said to you via email when I started the site, "A rushed job is a bad job".

By the way, it's eaglehawkit.com not eaglehawk.com :wave:

Hope you get the money back.
Best to Ben.

Coming from a man with 129 xhtml errors on his portfolio thats the not calling the kettle black ;p

Who's portfolio? Yours? Can't be mine. I didn't do mine yet. ;)
Anyway, Bob got what he needed and is quite happy and that's what matters here. :)

Back