• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do I really need?

Lilly

Hello this is my first post here.
I did try to read the stickies but it was uniformative even if well intentioned.

I want to run a PBEM game. I have a program called Birmail that can create the web pages and automatically email players their turn results.

What I want to know is: What do I really need to get this done?

Of course I need it to be free. This is just a game after all.

I don't know the difference btw/ ftp (file transfer protocall?) and mySQL and I am not sure what features I will need to do this.

I can tell you that there will be some maps and I will need message boards/forums for players to interact also.

Here is a link to someone elses game on Geocities, but I was hoping to avoid the ads.

http://www.geocities.com/fearless_leader101/FallenEmpire/pbem.html

I am thinking either Lord Dragon or Host Ultra
Idon't know, what do you think?

I dont know what a PBEM game is but if it runs on geocities, it should be able to run anywhere.

And lord-dragon isnt taking anymore signups me thinks

PBEM

A PBEM is a "Play By Email" game.

In this case a variant of a kind of Dungeons and Dragons thing called Birthright. Each player plays a character that rules a realm called a domain. Domains can be land-kingdoms; or a collection of temples in one or more kingdoms; or a collection of guilds or trading posts; or a collection of small but magical places that generate magic power, called sources.

Each player also runs a character who controls these things. The game is somwhat similar by Civilization and that sort of game in that players/kingdoms vie with one another for power.

Sometimes, one character/kingdom can gain enough power, influence, and alliances (vassals) to be declared Emperor.

some advice I got

Here is some advice I got but I don't know what it means, any ideas?

Some free Bulletin boards still exist, however the best option is often to get code for a board and then put it on your own web server.
One such board is the yabb board (http://www.yabbforum.com/), although
you may want to use PSP (which seems to be more and more freely
available on servers these days).

I don't know what PHP is but I do know that I want my website to have a Bulletin Board.

As far as Geocities is concerned I think I may have a bit more space needed for graphics and such than the example I posted. Even if it is big enough, I would like to avoid ads if possible.

On the other hand, I don't know that I will need or expect a lot of traffic. No more than 50 players will be invloved. So as far as transfer rates I don't know what is needed.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! :)

Thanks!

But what does it mean to "only upload by FTP"?

Is this good or bad?

This will be my first ever attempt at a website so pardon my newbieness.

All I know is that I have a program that will automatically write the webpages for me. Players will submit their turns via email and I will make the adjustments to the map and email the turn results to players.

Originally posted by Lilly
But what does it mean to "only upload by FTP"?

Is this good or bad?

This will be my first ever attempt at a website so pardon my newbieness.
FTP is a way to get files that are on your computer onto another one. You'll need a program for it but there plenty - free and otherwise - of those available on the net.
This is the first FTP tutorial that popped up from google: http://www.retailsignshops.com/members/ftp.php3 and deals with CuteFTP. They're all fairly similar so once you know how one works you'll have an easier time.

One other way free hosts usually allow you to place files onto their servers is with your browser. If you've ever used a webmail service like Hotmail and sent an attachment with your email the way it works is fairly similar.

Hope some of this made sense to you :)

If you made your site and pages with the tools geocities gives you than i think it is better that you stick with them because those tools will not be available on other free hosts.

Geocities isnt really bad I dont know why people dont like them. They are really reliable

Oh, but that is just the thing! I have not yet made any site. I only gave the Geocities site from my first post here as an example of someone else who created a Birthright online game.

So I have never used the tools that Geocities provides. I have a program called Birmail that creates the webpages for a Birthright game.

Back