• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What features would you want in a webhost?

worlditsme

Hi,

I currently have a webhosting service and was wondering if they are some features that people would want in a webhost but can't often find in free ones, i.e. SSL access or ImageMagick (recently requested by a customer).

Let me know if you have any ideas.

John

What exactly is ImageMagick? From what I gathered, this looks like an image editing program such as GIMP or Paint.net. Not sure why this would be a requested feature for hosting (though I did see the thread on it).

What exactly is ImageMagick?

It's used for image manipulation. A lot of scripts require it, primarily those that deal with images, galleries and things of that nature. It's used for compression, image conversions, resizing, etc.

And it's a common one, see OPs post in the request thread offering hosting with this and with no knowledge of it :( every host should know it well (or at least of it's existence and what it does).

It's simply a quick recompile, scary what 'hosts' don't know now isn't it!

If I were a client, the only thing I would require is professionalism. Any features, which might be absent or present within accounts are able to be found elsewhere, урут needed, while flexible professional approach to the client's service is often lacked.

It's used for image manipulation. A lot of scripts require it, primarily those that deal with images, galleries and things of that nature. It's used for compression, image conversions, resizing, etc.

Ah, I checked my image gallery (4images) and now remember seeing that as some option for thumbnails I think.

Hi,

I currently have a webhosting service and was wondering if they are some features that people would want in a webhost but can't often find in free ones, i.e. SSL access or ImageMagick (recently requested by a customer).

Let me know if you have any ideas.

John
Back-up of Websites is on top of the list. Guaranteed up time just as important. A sense of professionalism, i.e. the host has state of the art servers and knows what he is doing. He/she should be able to show a reliable track record and references. :)

The correspondence of the offers to the reality. No overselling in other words. no one should offer more than able to provide. Overall, the more features within a price the more attractive is the host.

Overall, the more features within a price the more attractive is the host.
That is not true. Depends on the quality that is offered. I'd rather go for a host with 100MB space, cPanel and a proven track record of good support than one that offers 1GB and a long list of impressive features but no track record at all. Someone else may be a bit more adventurous, but I'd say for most people who start out, they like to know that their Websites will not go down on a regular basis, that they may have access to support of a kind if something should go wrong and share some tips with others, which may be by way of a Forum of a kind.

Back