• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is the best way to promote a free webhosting service?

worlditsme

I currently have a free web hosting site and was wondering what some of the best ways to promote it are, besides forums and directories.

Pretty much it I think, unless you want to spend the cash to have it advertised via some rotating banner.

Advertising here is probably the best bet for I would think this one of the largest webhost communities.

Add it to hosting directories, make a contest with prizes like domain names, VPS, etc and promote it on twitter, facebook - the word of mouth will attract more users.

You can promote it through forums, directories, social sites, blogs, etc.
In addition, guest blogging helps you get high pr and traffic. If wanna promote by spending some money then go behind social networks where you will get good benefit for your spendings. Thanks.

Think any promotion has the same principles, with difference only in places and location of promotion directing. relevant forums and other webmaster resources as well as proper quality SEO would be good enough to promote anything.

Don't Croak.
This. This this and this.

If your services are indeed stable and stand the test of time, that's the first hurdle that many hosts fail to meet.

Initially it can be tough attracting customers, they're conditioned to avoid overnight start-ups as these have a habit of vanishing within weeks to months of their announcement.

But once you've been on the board for some time, if you services are competitive and reliable, people will hear about you and be willing to give you a try when you advertise.

I'm finding though that only certain advertising strategies actually work. Google ads for instance are rather ineffective, as they get buried among higher-budget competitors and ignored. Forum posting has this hazard as well, your ads are often promptly buried under a flood of competing ads from providers who more often than not are advertising plans far larger than you can offer.

On the other hand, if you live in a region that has a functional local grapevine, talk it up. The most effective advertising is word of mouth. So if you can get friends and family talking about you and spreading it around your local community, you'll get a steady stream of clients that early on is vital to get your reputation established. Later on you can then branch out and spread your influence once you know what you're doing and have a large enough client base to recommend you to others.

Last edited:
Advertising here is probably the best bet for I would think this one of the largest webhost communities.
This is completely true. I post in more than one Free Hosting Forums and there is always a thread about how people got to choose that particular service and Freewebspace features heavily in both. I myself found a really good free hosting service here. What I liked with the FWS Directory was the excellent search feature and being able to filter on for example FrontPage extensions. Next I did not want a too big Webhosting service. I wanted one that I thought I would feel comfortable with and that has a personal touch. And all of that information was available in the directory.

FWS directory is a bit outdated, there are some dead hosts still present in the directory. Peo should have a look.

if you want to have many german users you can post in in the forum gulli.com they have more than one million of members. (I dont want to advertise for that forum)

But if you open a thread there you will get many new members. if you want i can help you to create a topic.

Posting in forums and using Stumbleupon is probably the best way to start. However, you will spread by word of mouth if you offer stable services that don't go down every once a day or so like many free hosts do.

FWS directory is a bit outdated, there are some dead hosts still present in the directory. Peo should have a look.
Thanks for that info. Just another piece in the jigsaw puzzle why the review of my favourite Free hosting service did not show up after I submitted it .... a number of times. OK, positive thinking. I read somewhere else in the Forum with someone who had enquired why his listing had not been published yet, that the Directory is heavily swamped with requests and enquiries.

I currently have a free web hosting site and was wondering what some of the best ways to promote it are, besides forums and directories.

Hi worlditsme.

Do you want to try for a whitebar on my host thread? It's basically a public mirror of the obvious. All you have to do is report any snags like when your upstream goes fritzy or even forbid your junior admin steps on a cable and the server goes down for an hour. Also report in with any important corporate news. But that's about it!

P.s. Please advise us if you Self-Rate as accepting adult content.

Hi,

Yes, I would like to do this as it seems like a great idea. Also, we do not accept adult content on user sites as it is against our terms and conditions for user accounts.

John

Hi,

Yes, I would like to do this as it seems like a great idea. Also, we do not accept adult content on user sites as it is against our terms and conditions for user accounts.

John

Here we go then! It's the sprawling thread under "Requests". Post a note there to say hello and then all the mechanics will go over there.

Write articles to article directories and link them back to your site is a tried and trusted method. Or you can promote it through forums, directories, social sites, blogs, etc.

Back