• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What's Up?

Blank Verse

NLC
NLC
OK, so I was searching for something on the forum, and I came across an old thread by bigperm. The thread essentially was kind of a forum catch up, as he mentioned he goes through cycles of things that catch his interest, and was asking everyone about themselves as well.

I figure, we still have quite a few members kicking from that time, and a whole slew of new regulars as well, so maybe it's time to rehash the question.

What's up?

Me, personally, after spending enough time working in audio visual, am finally starting to enjoy the art of sound. I'm seriously looking into pursuing it further, and possibly attending the Academy of Production and Recording Arts here in Calgary. I think one day (down the road), I'd love to run my own studio.

I need a new car. My truck is long gone, and although I support the environmental aspects of public transportation, I can no longer stand Calgary Transit. They must perish. While I'm on the topic of dreaming, I keep thinking about owning my own house. Not in this market, and certainly not at this pay. I'm always torn between settling down or just taking off and seeing a new part of the world, but either way, I'd love to have my own home to come back to.

I've been pushing myself to read more, and damn it, I'm sticking to it. I have a new favourite author in Douglas Coupland, and I just finished his latest book, The Gum Thief. Which was fantastic, for the record.

I took my first skeleton lesson the other day (like luge, but headfirst :p) I loved it. I want to keep it up (who knows, maybe you'll see ol' Blankey in the Olympics someday :p) I've been wanting to check out hang gliding lessons as well, but lessons are expensive, and I only have so much money to go around, and I'm saving up for so much as it is, it's kind of on the back burner.

I think that's all I've got to say right now. Tell me what's up with you, aside from work/school/your other half or lack thereof.

I work as a cellphone technician for one of the major cell providers here in the US. Its a fun job that pays very well. I used to be a computer technician, and will be going back to school this upcoming Summer to go to a tech school to get some more certifications. I just took this semester off of college since I am working fulltime. Before, I was going to college for a degree in history education [secondary ed]

I love ice hockey more than anything...play it almost every week and watch it frequently. I spend a lot of time on the computer when I am not out drinking beer with the guys or spending time with the girlfriend.

I watch a lot of movies, especially horror. If I could do anything in life, I'd love to write and direct horror movies. That or produce music, am a huge punk music fan and take a lot of trips across the midwest to see bands in small clubs.

That's pretty much my life. Oh, and I order a LOT of pizza

I am Ben.

Bow to me.

Now, on a serious note. I'm studying at a 4-year college full time for no specific degree. Right now I'm taking Business Admin classes, and might go for an MBA, but I don't have any specific drive to do anything. :S

As you guys already know, my girlfriend and I just broke up. I thought I might have a really hard time getting over her completely, but a female friend and I just made plans to watch several movies over the weekend, which will be fun and take my mind off of things. Also, I've taken a liking to getting very, very stoned after I'm done with my school work now. It helps with everything, too.

I don't really have many goals in life, except to leave Atlanta. I might move to California, or Vancouver, or Manhattan, or Brooklyn, or somewhere. Just not Atlanta. I'm sick of the bible belt.

I also tend to have trouble sleeping, and this has been the case for several weeks. I've been taking 3mg of melatonin about an hour before I crash which helps immensely.

I'm also falling behind in my classes the last two weeks or so. Ben needs to get back on track. And no it isn't the weed, I don't smoke more than 2-3 times a week and only when I can spare 2 hours before I crash.

I like teh martial arts. I take Wing Chun, but I haven't been in about a month. See "stress and misc." for the reason.

Oh man.

Things have been crazy around here. I have been working on getting my boss fired for months now, and it finally came to a head last Friday when, guess what? He got fired. Great right?

No.

See, we manage two properties from this office. One of them is here and the other is about twenty minutes away. Another apartment complex in the company is almost done being built and it's closer to the second property. So the plan was that when that new property was finished, they would take over the management of our second property. That was scheduled for March at the earliest.

Since my boss was fired, they didn't want to give the new person that property to run for just a month and they moved it over to the new apartments the day after he got fired. No problem right?

Actually there is a problem. Unbeknownst (?) to me, I was to be transferred with the second property. This happened earlier than expected. It went like this:

Me: Awesome, boss got fired, stuff will get done right around here for a change.
Regional Manager: Hey, mind if I talk to you for a sec?
Me: What's up?
RM: You are going to be working at this other property. Starting tuesday.
Me: what:tired2:
Me: What if I don't want to work there?
RM: Then you are fired
Me: ----.

So my life got flipped turned upside down, and now I have a boss that is EVEN worse then the one I got fired. Sucks.

Incorporated with that issue is some boring and complicated roommate stuff going on that I won't bore you with.

As far as what I am into right now, I'm in a reading phase where I am reading generic fantasy as fast as I can. (I've read the Belgariad and the Mallorean in the past month(that's 10 books right there)) Starting to come out of it though.

There is a girl who is driving me CRAZY. I don't love her, I don't really like her all that much to be honest. But there are things about her that I cannot seem to get enough of. It's like a violation of ethics on my part, but I am disregarding it for the sake of... well those things I mentioned.

EDIT: I love beer and pizza and think that hockey sucks.

SECOND EDIT: There is this awsome song I have been listening to for the past three days non-stop. It's free to download on music.download.com and http://bedtimetunes.trash-can.net/ . The band is Her Space Holiday and the song is 'Something to do with my hands'. Serious, check it out and tell me what is so awesome about it.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up school...Computer Science. Naturally, my courses are Anthropology, Ecology, Geography, and Music and Pop Culture (topic: Led Zeppelin). A good final semester of school. I had plans of a straight A semester. We'll see how that develops.

I should start looking for a job. You know, start down the career path. I don't even really know where I want to live, though I would like to move out. Vancouver, Victoria, Ottawa...Halifax, or likely, stay in Calgary. I can't afford a house anywhere, so we'll see how that goes.

Social life...I'm trying to cut down on the beer, as I'm developing a bit of a gut. I'll try to drink more hard liquor. Female companionship, not any good potential on the horizon. Or I could lower my standards and nail this chick who's been after me (and/or her friend).

So I need more interesting things in my life other than school and drinking. Some mentioned books...I don't read, and I know that's bad. I got a biography on Joe Strummer for Christmas, I should get into that. And I wonder if I'll even learn guitar. There's also the whole "getting into shape" thing. I kind of gave up running(/jogging) during winter, after I started making progress last summer/fall. I had planned to play soccer this spring, but don't think I'm in shape. Enough whining.

Douglas Coupland: I liked Microserfs, JPod not so much. And have yet to watch/care about the CBC show...

I've become addicted to domains and making sites to go with them (if they didn't already have a site). Very time consuming, but I hope it pays off in the end :)

Well I do voluntary work at a veterinary hospital near me. Good fun - hopefully a career I would like to pursue. The pay's not tooooo lousy. I'm actually hating IT more than anything in school, and loving my PE/Games lessons simply because I'm now more than fit enough to do them. It used to be I'd love IT and hate PE/Games, because IT was fun and I could barely do half of PE/Games.

Social life...broke up with my girlfriend like 4weeks ago. Realllyy couldn't care less, I've still got ageeesss in life :p Or so I hope. Don't drink - yet. ;)

As Canuckkev said, books. I read a lot, fantasy fiction mainly. Authors like Trudi Canavan and Raymond E. Feist. My current hobbys are Photography, Astronomy, snowboarding and cycling.

Music...rock/alternative. Perhaps some punk rock. And I've acquired a taste to Orba Squara. I'm currently listening to bands like Rise Against, Hinder, and Apolcalyptica. Along with Orba Squara. Maybe some Wolfmother.

Douglas Coupland: I liked Microserfs, JPod not so much. And have yet to watch/care about the CBC show...
Jpod was not fantastic, agreed. Haven't seen the show either, simply because I'm not going to watch a show with Alan Thicke.

That said, I'd recommend reading Girlfriend in a Coma.

I'm trying to take myself together so I can get into this gymnasium I really like. I'm finding it hard to concentrate with all the on goings though. I'm also trying to form a band, but we're having trouble finding a place to play. Witch is a petty, because both the drummer and singer is very talented.

I've been reading some biografis of musicans. I've read Room Full of Mirrors (Jimi), Heroin Dairies (Nikki Sixx), and the new Slash biografi. I also like reading fantasy, I really like Stephen King, and Douglas Adams.

Social life is a bit weird, a few freinds are getting pissed off at each other, but so far I've stayed out of it.

OK, so I was searching for something on the forum, and I came across an old thread by bigperm. The thread essentially was kind of a forum catch up, as he mentioned he goes through cycles of things that catch his interest, and was asking everyone about themselves as well.

I figure, we still have quite a few members kicking from that time, and a whole slew of new regulars as well, so maybe it's time to rehash the question.

What's up?

Me, personally, after spending enough time working in audio visual, am finally starting to enjoy the art of sound. I'm seriously looking into pursuing it further, and possibly attending the Academy of Production and Recording Arts here in Calgary. I think one day (down the road), I'd love to run my own studio.
My dream is to have my own studio, it just costs a fortune:( I was thinking about getting a mechanical engineer degree, but maybe it would be a better idea finding something similar to what you found? Do you just learn how to use the equipment, or do you also learn how it's made?

I'm finishing up school...Computer Science. Naturally, my courses are Anthropology, Ecology, Geography, and Music and Pop Culture (topic: Led Zeppelin). A good final semester of school. I had plans of a straight A semester. We'll see how that develops.

I've started disliking Led Zeppelin more and more. Page seems to have stolen of riffs (like the whole lotta love riff is every similar to the intro riff to JOHN LEE HOOKER - BAD LIKE JESSE JAMES) Or maybe similar riffs are more commen then i realise?

Last edited:
Well, I've pretty much gone off the deep end on the health and fitness kick. I'm pretty much an addict at this point. I do some form of working out probably two to three times a day and meticulously watch over my diet and nutrition. My weight lifting regiment is much more intense these days and even though I'm still steadily getting thinner, I'm slowly gaining weight from muscle mass now. Confidence levels are rising at an exponential rate.

I've always been hyperactive but now that I have these energy levels through the roof I'm constantly bored because I plow through all my daily tasks so quickly, whether it be school or other responsibilities. Last semester, one of my advisors pulled a favor from me and asked me to be a physics tutor and now she's got another student in need of help this semester so that should eat up a couple hours out of my weeks. I'll soon be helping organize a summer program that my university puts on to help encourage kids with learning disabilities to attend college. I was a mentor last summer and they asked me to come back and have a bigger role, so that should be fun. I'm also thinking about going out for club rugby this fall since I've always wanted to learn how to play.

I've been going to bars a lot more often to see live music, yet my drinking has almost completely fell off the charts. The health nut in me has turned 12-pack nights into nursing a double jack and coke for most of the night. Maybe that's a good thing, I'm so much more outgoing and confident now that liquid supplementation isn't necessary. :p

I wish I could be like you guys and read more but I just can't sit still long enough. :devious2:

Well, I've pretty much gone off the deep end on the health and fitness kick. I'm pretty much an addict at this point. I do some form of working out probably two to three times a day and meticulously watch over my diet and nutrition. My weight lifting regiment is much more intense these days and even though I'm still steadily getting thinner, I'm slowly gaining weight from muscle mass now. Confidence levels are rising at an exponential rate.

I've always been hyperactive but now that I have these energy levels through the roof I'm constantly bored because I plow through all my daily tasks so quickly, whether it be school or other responsibilities. Last semester, one of my advisors pulled a favor from me and asked me to be a physics tutor and now she's got another student in need of help this semester so that should eat up a couple hours out of my weeks. I'll soon be helping organize a summer program that my university puts on to help encourage kids with learning disabilities to attend college. I was a mentor last summer and they asked me to come back and have a bigger role, so that should be fun. I'm also thinking about going out for club rugby this fall since I've always wanted to learn how to play.

I've been going to bars a lot more often to see live music, yet my drinking has almost completely fell off the charts. The health nut in me has turned 12-pack nights into nursing a double jack and coke for most of the night. Maybe that's a good thing, I'm so much more outgoing and confident now that liquid supplementation isn't necessary. :p

I wish I could be like you guys and read more but I just can't sit still long enough. :devious2:

You Americans are lucky, Bourbon is so expensive here:( Stupid EU tax laws!

Last edited:
I finally got back on my feet and got an apartment after the flood, but due to the fact that so many people are leaving my place of employment so quickly, I'm working 42-43 hours a week until the end of February. I'm taking one math class right now at a community college, but next year I plan to move to Kentucky to go to a college with / near my girlfriend (she goes to UK in Lexington). I plan to study English Education (secondary). I like the IT/server work that I do at work, but I would hate to make a career out of it. I haven't read a new book in forever - I re-read books constantly though. Right now I'm reading Lost and Found by Alan Dean Foster (sci-fi/humor) and In The Forest of Forgetting by Theodora Goss (surrealist fiction/short stories). I've been on kind of a pop-punk kick lately, Armor for Sleep, Rise Against and Paramore. But I'm almost always in the mood for a little MC Chris too. I don't really watch sports (although the local college men's basketball team, Purdue, is moving up the ranks, apparently) and I don't drink (I'm underage, and probably wouldn't drink if I was legal anyway). As for hobbies, I'm kind of getting in to Guild Wars a bit, and I used to write a lot, and I'm trying to start that up again. As for exercise... well, all I really have ever done is running with some occasional stints of jogging, and it's cold outside and I'm too lazy to go to a gym, so I think that'll wait till spring.

Started to concentrate more on school work - I've got a 50 page bit of work due in tomorrow, and have only done 40 pages thus far.

Been driving a few months lately and on Saturday I'm getting my first car. Already insured it, £844/year on a provisional license. That'll spike up to £2k once I pass, if I stay with this company - which I won't.

Other than those couple of grievances, life is good. Oh, and I'm failing math. Other than those three grievances, life is good.

Back