• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Suspicious accounts

Jordan Mclay

Nlc You Say?
NLC
This is for hosts tbh.

Does anyone seem to have problems with foreigners eg chineese & thai customers who have domains like wswsc@yoursite.com or ssfe@uni.cc they seem to all be suspicious & use the accounts for unlawfull purposes. I actually have banned .uni.cc domains on my servers

Banning domains will not be a solve for you. .uni.cc in not the only free domain. There are many similar ones specially Freedns provide numerous free domains.

I've only ever accepted 'english language' sites as I don't know enough of any other language to make sense of it. There have been a few that put a simple homepage up and a week later it was selling pyramid money making schemes.

All part of policing your clients, unfortunate it's necessary at all.

Cheers Decker , I agree non english sites are hard to police & can often be illigal
I have a couple of non english sites but i know they are legit they are a music forum.

Ill unban the domain And just put in our tos that we only accept english based sites.

Ps i have a website that is a google clone but im not sure wether this is legal Can anyone shed any light on this ?

yea i remember when i gave out my hosting package about two months here i specifically told that we don't accept non - English site's but under due circumstance we allow site's which contains both English + non - English and which do can easily monitor. i only have encountered a small issue with one non-English site until now. The major problem having non-English site is that the client who ask for the account doesn't pay much attention to the TOS or just takes advantage of the host.

Re:

Ps i have a website that is a google clone but im not sure wether this is legal Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Most clone sites are used to get passwords. Take the myspace clone for example. Yes, they are illegal. Delete it without warning. Otherwise they will download all the data and deleting the account will be of no use.

Boy, you can say that again! ... I don't even think they can read the TOS

yea i remember when i gave out my hosting package about two months here i specifically told that we don't accept non - English site's but under due circumstance we allow site's which contains both English + non - English and which do can easily monitor. i only have encountered a small issue with one non-English site until now. The major problem having non-English site is that the client who ask for the account doesn't pay much attention to the TOS or just takes advantage of the host.

Well one cannot enforce your TOS.
If you are unable to understand the site.

And yes clone sites are just another take off on Phising. only there to gather username and password info.

Put in the TOS "English sites only", Then wait 24 hours, then delete them. Or use translate.google.com to translate the page. Theres an idea... Hope it helps

Thanks alot you guys , Im stuck for words here one of our servers is a great server but since we started offering free webhosting last week we have had very serious problems with it heres an example..

ftpd failed
Server Load 27.18 (2 cpus)
Memory Used 91.2 %
Swap Used 100.00 %

How that can be i dont understand as our servers quite empty just now.
I suspect someone of using our hostingas a spam centre but im not sure how to find this out if anyone has any tips how to it would be very much apreciated.

google script is totally legal, they`ve just release it to public.. but u need google`s API or something like that.. , as a licence.. :lol:

Thanks alot you guys , Im stuck for words here one of our servers is a great server but since we started offering free webhosting last week we have had very serious problems with it heres an example..

ftpd failed
Server Load 27.18 (2 cpus)
Memory Used 91.2 %
Swap Used 100.00 %

How that can be i dont understand as our servers quite empty just now.
I suspect someone of using our hostingas a spam centre but im not sure how to find this out if anyone has any tips how to it would be very much apreciated.

well according to your sig. you have been Hosting for over 3 years. Kinda strange you are looking for help.

Not trying to "Dog" or "Flame" you just makeing a observation.

Yeah i have been hosting over 3 years , All im asking is a little support on how to catch spammers ect , Dont get me wrong it ain't a crime is it ?

No it not a crime. But your question is common place for those just starting out in the industry.

Like i said its was just a observation is all.

Fair point , But id just like to add ive been around with my own company for pushing 2 years after working with a partner at another webhost i know most sides to the hosting but we are human afterall

Back