• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Search results

1. polestar

Question:

How long do you spend on average each day posting messages on this forum just for the sake of it? How do you see activities such as posting on the general forum and perfecting your avatar?... Escapism? Honest fun like playing videogames but more interesting? A sense of self-importance...
  2. polestar

Read to me!

Dear mods, You do an honest, excellent job -- kudos for giving up your time in such a productive and helpful way. I have a suggestion: Please add a "Stephen Hawking-esque voice reader" option to the bottom of each post. It will be of great help to people who can't read, for whatever...
  3. polestar

Merry Christmas!

:snowchris Merry Christmas! :snowchris Well...ok we're not quite there yet - but it's my birthday (19th) on monday so I'm celebrating early. What have you asked this guy ---> :santa: for? PS...hello and welcome to everyone who's joined since I stopped posting often... I just thought I'd...
  4. polestar

That's SO gay!

If something is shit, bad, crappy, why is it gay? This seems to be an acceptable term used in several posts on these boards. I'm not gay but that's not the point. Imagine if I hated Canadians and called all things I didn't like Canadian...or black or Jewish. That would not be tolerated...
  5. polestar

ok how do you put ALT text on links?

So the text pops up, like when you hover over an image with ALT text. Look: I'll only need a one word answer! <a href=www,internet,com ALT="click here to go to my site!">Link</a> Replace the word in red please... (I hope it's that easy!)
  6. polestar

What ailments / diseases are you afflicted by?

I guess you know you've got a pretty easy life when the worst stuff you can moan about is listed above, especially after thinking of the families caught up in last week's attacks on the US. :frown2: But they sure are annoying! :hurt2: I've got hayfever and I just cleared up some nasty...
  7. polestar

Insert / Home ???

Hey does this happen for anyone else? On the forums when typing a message, you press the home key to go back to the start of a line. (to be grammatically correct and add a capital letter or whatever) The cursor does go to the start of the line, but it's also as if I've pressed insert as...
  8. polestar

Random mumblings about css

More and more cool hover effects are being used on links, which get away from the cool but over-used standard color change and/or underline appearing. For example, the "just the underline changes color on hover" effect: a {color: blue} a:link {color: blue} a:visited {color: blue}...
  9. polestar

Review my site (you don't have to be nice as long as you're honest)

Please give me some feedback and suggestions, especially If everything's at least half-decent in Netscape (ie readable) - I don't have (or want) this program on my new pc. Does it look ok in your screen resolution? I know it's not centered but that's so the java popups on the scrollbar are...
  10. polestar

ok so napster sucks - what's next best?

So far the only alternative I've found is WinMX, but it isn't really the Georgie Best - anyone had any joy? Gnutella sounded promising, and I got BearSearch but it didn't work :mad: I want my free music!
  11. polestar

internetseer.com

Do you use InternetSeer? It checks your site every hour, and e-mails you if it's down. It's quite good for comparing your sites on different hosts. Are there any (better) free alternatives? http://www.internetseer.com
  12. polestar

please recommend a counter

I used to use thecounter.com, but I'd prefer my counter to be a part of my site. The most important thing is that it doesn't slow the loading of the site much (scripts which use SSI are slow, aren't they???). Also, it has to be either invisible or a small text display, and I'd love to know most...
  13. polestar

Max homepage size?

What is a sensible size for a homepage? Mine is approx 75kb, including java, gfx, etc and it sometimes takes ages to load (like half a minute). But if i'm connected at 48000bps, in theory this should take less than 2 seconds right? What's going on?
  14. polestar

Latest headlines on homepage

I seem to remember seeing the latest headlines on people's homepages. How do you get them? I know bravenet offer this service but theirs is slow and crap. I'd like science/astronomy related news if poss. Any ideas?
  15. polestar

The Mysterious Blue Spot

Look! In the border near the top on the left hand side. Has this subject been brought up in the past? I thought it was some dust on the screen! Does it have a mysterious purpose? Would its removal render this site inoperable, or worse?! Should I be ashamed that I don't have...
  16. polestar

do coloured scrollbars look good?

I can't quite decide. Maybe on certain sites with a specific feel, like http://www.amigamos.com/ Sometimes a coloured scrollbar seems to draw my eye away from the page itself. I can't decide whether to use one. What do you think?
  17. polestar

Webdesigners : be more considerate!

I have been surfing the net for many years, and the experience is gradually worsening. I have a 4-bit, 320x200 display, a 9600 baud modem and Netscape 0.0.4c (beta version). My OS is dosshell. Like Anne Robinson, I hate ditherers. I had to buy a new CPU fan just to cope with these high...
  18. polestar

2B a laMeR

What is a lamer? How do you become one? Is it fashionable? I saw some really kewl guyz 1nce. They fancied themselves as hackerz and typ3D eveRytHiNg in tHiz rath3R p3culIaR (but kewl) manner. I think I want 2b one of them. I went to the lame translator...
  19. polestar

Everyone loves Verdana

Including me! It looks so much better than the default font. When did most people start using it? I'd swear that it wasn't so wide-spread on the web about a year ago. Am I wrong? I also notice that Yahoo among others doesn't use Verdana. What reason could there be for this? To improve...
Back