• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Almost unlimited free plans

The rules are:

Virtually unlimited/unmetered offers; use common sense. If it seems virtually impossible, it will be removed.

On a free shared hosting account, that is virtually unlimited, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't imagine that host lasting very long, especially as they're free and don't even require adverts.

I think the benchmark should be sustainability.

Offers that do not have a reliable means of sustaining themselves long term should be against the rules.

By calculation using actual data from my servers, giving away 1TB of bandwidth and 100GB of space with a twin banner would actually result in a reasonably fat bottom line assuming that the server was robust enough to tolerate it. It isn't the size of the plans that is the issue, it is the lack of profitability that causes the hosts offering them to vanish.

But if someone offered that same 1TB of bandwidth and 100GB of space as a post2host, or without any profit mechanism at all, the result is an unsustainable offer that gives clients a poor experience and makes them unlikely to come back here in the future.

Thus rather than barring unlimited itself, change the rule to block unrealistic offers where unrealistic is defined as any offer that when verified by other hosts against actual server statistics would result in little or no profit.

If need be, it would probably be possible to post benchmark traffic to profitability ratios for different advertising types for use as a standard reference.

99% of users won't use that amount of space and bandwidth. And there may be hidden CPU and inode limits. A user is more likely to cross the CPU limits before reaching the space and bandwidth limits.

99% of users won't use that amount of space and bandwidth. And there may be hidden CPU and inode limits. A user is more likely to cross the CPU limits before reaching the space and bandwidth limits.

If I am not mistaken one of the other rules specifies that when posting offers the offer should approximately match the requested size and features. If the plan is really that much larger than what customers are going to use, doesn't that mean it also would be far larger than people should request and against the rules anyway in that regard?

Also I don't like the whole hidden CPU or Inode limit. All limits should be clearly advertised in terminology that an ordinary user who just wants to install wordpress and write about the Mona Lisa would understand.

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/...GB-1000-GB-Direct-Admin-PHP5-MySQL-FTP-NO-ADS

I know I reported this post earlier, and it looks like he made some changes, but 100GB of disk space and 1TB of bandwidth for free? Really?

I haven't been around, having done a move and dealt with holidays and so on.

Heh I have a small twinge of nostalgia for my study days! "Look! They made it two weeks!" :)

However I don't have the interest or time to do another round. So I'll suggest the "rowdy offspring" of my study concept. After all, it was educational for new hosts to learn about overselling problems and so on. So my new fast suggestion is to treat them like an "unwritten version of MediaFire"! *Assume* that they could croak, but then MediaFire deletes your files after a month or whatever anyway. So by looking at them through a different lens, as "MediaFire with more options", then you gain more months of service, and when (if!?) they croak, then we get to all dig into our boxes of Prepared Speeches and have at it.

Meanwhile, if you have a short term problem that needs resources, take them at their word and use it. I'll fish around and see what I might want to do with all that firepower. If I see anything fishy in the TOS that's a different post later.

Back