• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cant access files off hard drive

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
I am trying to upgrade my in law's pc. I took out the hard drive and hooked up to my pc with a usb connection for it.

I can open the hard drive, and have access to all the files. However, it wont let me copy/paste, transfer anything. Keeps telling me that I need administrator access, which wont let me give.

Anyone know a way around this?

You might need to change the permissions for the files/folders you're wanting to copy. Right click the folder and click on properties, then go to the security tab, click edit then add your Windows user account name in the objects box and click OK.

Hopefully that works, but to be honest I find it much easier to use an Ubuntu CD, since you don't get these permission problems and you can copy everything you need off the drive.

[JSH]John;1177061 said:
You might need to change the permissions for the files/folders you're wanting to copy. Right click the folder and click on properties, then go to the security tab, click edit then add your Windows user account name in the objects box and click OK.

Tried that, but still wouldnt let me copy and paste.

It may contain some virus on it. You need to check administrator rights or user rights too. I was facing such problem in one folder after transferring those files to other folder and run anti-virus to clean files. After cleaning files everything is working fine.

It may contain some virus on it. You need to check administrator rights or user rights too. I was facing such problem in one folder after transferring those files to other folder and run anti-virus to clean files. After cleaning files everything is working fine.

Nope, just no administration rights.

Got it fixed. When changing ownership, there was an extra setting I didnt know about. Thanks to a tech friend, he pointed me to an article that worked.

Back