• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Desktop/Icon Editing

Phaser

I know they exist... you know, the programs that let you change the icons and various other features (clock, start menu, etc.) of your windows desktop. I haven't done any real looking, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend (notice I added that word this time... seems every time I ask questions, people don't give opinions -- not complaining though :) ) a particular piece of software that you've had luck with, or deem helpful.

I have Windows98, by the way.

As always, thanks for any help!

Changing icons is simply a matter of right clicking on an icon and then clicking on 'properties' change it to whatever you want. There is also a windows add-on called tweakUI that's available as a free download from Microsoft (I think) that will help you do all sorts of things with the windows user interface. You can do them all manually by editing the registry, but this isn't normaly advised for novice users

Thanks, I knew I could change the icons by going to properties, should have explained more clearly.

I've seen totally new icons that aren't on my choices, I was wondering where these came from as well.

I get very tired of staring at the same icons.

TweakUI you say? Will have to look that one up.

The following programs are the best for custimization:

-tClock : Customize your taskbar

-eIcons : customize every icon or your system

-IconPackager : same as above but includes some windows tweaks and you can also change the cursors

-WindowBlinds : changes windows GUI (eats RAM like a MoFo)

-WinBoost2000 Gold : customize all types of shit. everything from the text on the "start" button to deleting the screensaver password

I've used all of these and reccomend them all except WindowBlinds because of the mad RAM it eats

I know, I was running them all and my computer started lagging ect. So I took windows blinds off and now its fine. In my opinion is worst than ICQ!!!

WindowBlinds!!! I was trying to remember the name of it. I tried it and it was a really cool program... Except for the fact that it ssslllloooowwwweeeedddd the system down to a crawl. Oh well... That's what you get when try to make the computer do something that's it not designed to do! :(

Yup, I have 128MBs SDRAM and I wasn't running anything except RAM Booster (which optimizes your RAM usage.) and it took like 5 minutes to load internet explorer.

I have a celeron 533 and 160mb of ram. It would run ok for a bit, then start slowing down my system. I tried every ram optimization tool there was but no luck. I think my computer could run it if windows wasnt so crapy at managing ram.

Originally posted by Nick
The following programs are the best for custimization:

-tClock : Customize your taskbar

-eIcons : customize every icon or your system

-IconPackager : same as above but includes some windows tweaks and you can also change the cursors

-WindowBlinds : changes windows GUI (eats RAM like a MoFo)

-WinBoost2000 Gold : customize all types of shit. everything from the text on the "start" button to deleting the screensaver password

I've used all of these and reccomend them all except WindowBlinds because of the mad RAM it eats

Thanks, these were exactly the type of things I was looking for!

No problem. If you need the addresses email me or post here. I'll find them for you if you want them.

Back